Army - Navy "E" Flag

Brian Keith

WW II "Efficiently" award flag. These were a big point of pride during WW II and it was a big event when they were awarded. This example was awarded to Whittington Engineering Company in Indianapolis, IN.

This has a star and I think this means a second award.

post-1549-1196791825.jpg

It is not apparent from the photo, but it is photographed on a 4 foot by eight foot piece of foam core. These are pretty big.

Note that this is a Quartermaster made item.

post-1549-1196791872.jpg

This one was appears to have never been flown, many of these you see are pretty ratty from use.

BKW

Brian, these are Awesome Flags, I own one with ( 4 stars ).... and last year i bought one that had 3 stars on it. then sold it on eBay this summer. These flags do not come up for sale much and i decided to sell the 3 star one to purchase a few items i have been wanting.

post-633-1196810429.jpg

Carey

Your size reference works better than mine.

That is a really nice looking flag, did you know what company earned it.

BKW

No, i do not know who the company was. All i know is i got it for an INSANE below Market price. I dont think the Dealer knew what it was. I had to ask him TWICE, the asking price just to be sure i understood him. :D

Charlie Flick

That is a great piece. I love those flags. They are a part of America's industrial history. Been looking off and on for one for a while, but have not found one as yet.

Coincidentally, Camillus Cutlery Co., a major US supplier of edged weapons in WW2, was awarded an E flag. Camillus closed down for good this past year and its assets sold at auction recently. One of the items discovered at the auction was the factory's E flag. An article in this month's Knife World by Frank Trzaska shows the flag to good effect.

Charlie

WOW! to have one of these flags from a company as famous as Camillus, would be fantastic!

I'll have to look for that issue.

BKW

• 6 months later...
Guest ssgtedusmc

The E on the Army-Navy Production Award flag stands for Excellence. The award was for excellence in production. Each white star indicates a renewal award and each plant receiving this award was reviewed after six months to see if they were qualified to keep their award for the next six months. If so, then they got a new flag with another white star. This continued until the plant received its fourth star then the qualifying period for the fifth star was lengthened to one year. At the end of the production award program on September 1, 1945 only four companies had six stars on their Army-Navy E flags, the maximum that could be earned during WWII. All four of these companies were announced as having earned the Navy Bureau of Ordnance E Award on July 25, 1941 and then opted to convert to the Army-Navy E Award when they were approved for their next renewal star after August 1, 1942.

• 2 years later...

Greetings from the Pacific Northwest. I go by Boss because thats what people call me.

I was wondering if anybody could direct me to a website or a person who has some knowledge about these flags. I have had one for several years but it just sits and I feel like I am wasting its time. Perhaps somebody can point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Northern Pump was one of them. The company still keeps the stars on the smokestack and is visable from the Mississippi river in Minneapolis, Mn.

post-589-1302495301.jpg