Chevrons on HBT

drown1981

I have a question about chevrons that were worn on HBT jackets by the army during WWII. Did they wear the regular wool chevrons or did they also stencil the chevrons just like they did in the USMC?

craig_pickrall

You see photos of chevrons painted on AAF coveralls. You don't see this to often in the ground forces though. I'm guessing you see more sewn on chevrons than painted on as far as the Army is concerned.

Captainofthe7th
Unusal HBTs you have there Rob. Cut down/ re-tailored coveralls?! :think:

Cut down, tailored shirt. Nice Ike style tailoring, I'm thinking PTO as this was somewhat common there. There are traces of where the box pockets used to be.

Rob

So I am guessing that what I can make up from you comments is that it would be more likely that Army HBTs in the PTO would have stenciled chevrons, resembling the USMC hbts than HBTs in the ETO?

So I am guessing that what I can make up from you comments is that it would be more likely that Army HBTs in the PTO would have stenciled chevrons, resembling the USMC hbts than HBTs in the ETO?

Not at all, if anything at least in front line Infantry, Combat engineer units in the PTO, this would not be done, there was a real fear of being a sniper target, the Nips always looked to hit any yankee they thought was a officer or a Noncom. Some men did have ranks stenciled on there shirts in these type of units but they where seen when these units where out of the line and this would generally be towards the end of the war. In those Army units that where away from the line or in support units as well as personel of the Air Forces, here is where you would see the rank senciled shirts, bering in mind that it was not a standard practice with it not being a requirment to do so, it basically was up to the individuals inclination to do so. It is thought that the Marines did not stencel or draw ranks on their utilities till very late in the war, even then it was said be be uncommon, with the stenciling being seen as only in greater more increasing numbers in the post war Marine Corps.

MTO,ETO,since that in these theaters rank could be commonly found being worn, even in front line units to a degree, the Army if they had HBTs on and if they wanted their rank shown they would simply sew on or have sewn on the standard rank patches of the various types that could be found, stenciling of rank was rare on these items, same for the Air Corps, the Air Corps being a branch of the Army would have the same manner of rank wear, but it would seem the AC personel did have rank sencils on their HBTs more often, though this again being not to common of a practice.

Captainofthe7th

Since it's a tailored shirt I think it is for garrison wear or just after the war ended....definitely not fit for combat.

I also have a couple of examples of HBT shirts with chevrons sewn on. Again I do not think these are the norm for frontline use.

Rob

craig_pickrall

Here are a couple with sewn on chevrons. These are from the PTO but I'm not sure what island they were on at the time.

post-5-1323144145.jpg

post-5-1323144162.jpg

• 10 years later...

Here's a Stenciled Rank sighting, oversized and somewhat ill proportioned Sergeant's ones, Tunisia, GI there with a British Soldier, now he, the Britisher, looks like he's wearing a captured Italian Green Wool Side Cap right..

oiiuui.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here's a find, though not on HBTs, it is on the Blue denims.

Sometime in summer of 1942, a Technician Fifth Grade has stenciled his rank on his denim jacket, this stencil may be in Red like the item member Captainofthe7th posted above.

a098.jpg

• 7 months later...

collectsmedals
On 6/16/2022 at 12:02 AM, patches said:

Here's a Stenciled Rank sighting, oversized and somewhat ill proportioned Sergeant's ones, Tunisia, GI there with a British Soldier, now he, the Britisher, looks like he's wearing a captured Italian Green Wool Side Cap right..

oiiuui.jpg

Based on the size it looks like he may have used an upside down stencil for the British chevrons.

• 2 months later...

A Sergeant of the 84th Infantry Division somewhere in Germany, He has the Silver on Black type stripes sewn on his HBT Shirt.

stripes hbt g.PNG

stripes hbt.jpg

• 1 month later...

Rather than start a new topic on this, lets add him here.

The most unusual application of a Stenciled Rank on a M41 Field Jacket, something if seen then, done on a HBT Fatigue Shirt. Troops of an unknown unit, Full Bird there we see, in the late summer of 44 in Normandy fooling around with a captured Raketenwerfer 43 Puppchen.

senciled.PNG

Close up.

sten.PNG

• 1 month later...
46 minutes ago, patches said:

A Stars and Stripes Reporter, a Tech 5, in Africa Spring of 43, Ranks Stenciled on what look like 1st Pattern HBT Overalls

9.jpg

Rank we see is in fact Tech 4, that upper shadowing is actually the top chevron.

1 hour ago, patches said:

A Stars and Stripes Reporter, a Tech 5, in Africa Spring of 43, Ranks Stenciled on what look like 1st Pattern HBT Overalls

9.jpg

Those stripes are for a Tech 4 (not 5).

• 2 months later...

Remembered this often seen photo and went looking for, found it, GIs of the 5th Infantry Division in Northern Ireland on maneuvers March 1944, Sub Unit not given, we see this 1st Sergeant who has his stripes on his shirt, the 1st Pattern HBT Shirt. Name given as Christopher McGuire Allentown Penna.

hbt stripes 5th divn.PNG

• 2 months later...

Stripes on HBTs two Noncoms of an unidentified XX Corps Troop Unit late summer 44, maybe in September

hbt stripes 20th corps.PNG

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
patches

OD on Black Stripes on the M41 OD HBTs. Trainees at the Camp Croft SC  Infantry Replacement Training Center sometime the late summer of 1942, the corporal is an Acting Corporal probably.

hbt stripes.jpg