Anyone recognize this ??

Got da Penny

I am asking for help on this one. I thought i recognized this pin as a Son in Service workers pin. ??

**** Notice the Star at the bottom ***

I do not have it yet. (in the mail) as we speak.

at first thought, i was thinking Studebaker. but, its not. from what i have found so far.

Hoping maybe you guys recognize it.

Do you think it is a SIS pin??

post-633-1322708568.jpg

Thanks,Carey

I think you are on the right track. I seem to recall it as a WWII era industrial logo, but I can't remember which one.

I tried looking up Sperry Industries, but none of their wartime advertising had this logo.

The center of the design has an arrow which I thought might be the direction arrow of a compass.

It might be a steamship line as well.

Gil. I was racking my brain yesterday and the word "Sperry" also popped into my head. but, i did not research :lol:

I am leaning towards a factory pin because of the Red White & Blue colors and the "Wings" on sides.

the search continues.

Thanks,Carey

Gil. I was racking my brain yesterday and the word "Sperry" also popped into my head. but, i did not research :lol:

I am leaning towards a factory pin because of the Red White & Blue colors and the "Wings" on sides.

the search continues.

Thanks,Carey

Carey,

The device above the star appears to be an hourglass with wings. If so, that is a typical device used on "years of service" award pins for various companies, whether associated with national defense or not. Is that indeed an hourglass? I have many such items in my collection of "stuff." Is there a maker's mark or name?

Pete

Here are in hand photos i took last nite.

Boy, sure thought it was Gold colored when i bought it ...... But, Silver will be fine. :lol:

post-633-1322824780.jpg

post-633-1322824785.jpg

It looks like it might be a pin for Stearman with the winged hour-glass. Check out the patches posted by Cookieman back in January on this conference under Aircraft Manufacturers patches. Very nice pin.

Steve

I will check my references when I get to my books at home, but I think Leavens started in the 1950s; they made lapel buttons and pins for awards, and military insignia. Also, with the winged hourglass, I still have to go with the idea that it was an employee award for years of service and not necessarily tied to an aviation company. In other words, although it might be related to aviation, I think the winged hourglass indicates years of service.

Pete

According to my copy of American Jewerly Manufacturers, by Dorothy Rainwater, Leavens Manufacturing Company was started in Attleboro, MA, in 1948.

Pete

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

This mistake is made a lot on ebay. This is for Swift Meat Co. Only! LOL I got tired of correcting folks on ebay. This is at the Fort Worth Stockyards.

I also have a collection of Swift / Armour items around here somewhere

post-2156-0-76729100-1392085438.jpg

Nice pin.But as USAFnav pointed out.The jewelry company was founded in 1948.So the pin can not be a WW2 era pin.

Leavens Manufacturing Company; Attleboro, MA

Mark: "L" with banner marked "QJ" leavenssig.jpg Courtesy Jenny Wren
Mark: "L21" is the mark issued to Leavens to use on US military insignia.
Founded in 11948 by Theodore Leavens, Lucy Fantaccione, Pete Taratian, Rauul LaCasse, orin Armstrong & Haig Abdian.
Acquired by Oneida Ltd. in the mid-1970's.