Pilot knives, show em

hawkdriver

In an earlier thread, someone made the recommendation that we show our pilot survival knives. I will start this soiree off. The only rule is that it has to be aviation related.

xcprw4.jpg

The first knife is a Imperial jet pilot knife. The second is a Shrade-Weldon. The third is a Camillus 67, The top left is a United GR Mich WWII Survival kit knife. The next two are Camillus, 68 and 69.

2u3y1ir.jpg

The first knife here is a Camillus 68. Second is a Camillus 71, both brown tip scabbards. The third is a camillus 86 with the black tip. The fourth is a Ontario 86 in a green tip scabbard.

2i8ix3m.jpg

The first is a AIRSAVE Ontario 91 with a Aerial strap cutter. The second is a Gen I Ontario ASEK with strap cutter. The third is a foilage Gerber ASEK with issued strap cutter. Funny, I don't have a current ACU ASEK, going to have to fix that.

dqspyt.jpg

Finally, a wayward Ontario dated 86 and a Woodsmans Pal survival tool.

I also have one of the common 1980s Air Crew Knife, but you seem to have that pretty well covered already LOL. Also have a WWII era "Woodsmans Pal", but that is packed away right now.

Mark

Don't feel too bad about not many posting. I posted a link to the post of my Dad's V44 that I posted last week that went totally unnoticed as well. Half the things I post here tend to really bore people. I do have an interest in this subject, I just don't have anything worth while to share. Hope others post more though.

Mark

Charlie Flick

hawkdriver:

You have some very nice blades there.

Here is a 10 year old pic of some of my Jet Pilot Knives. There have been a few additions since then but I don't have the time to take pics right now, so this old one will have to do.

Regards,
Charlie Flick

P5120087.jpg

Very impressive collection of blades Hawk' et al! Question: wherabouts on his person would a pilot carry his knife? Is there a pocket for it on the standard survival vest? :think:

Very impressive collection of blades Hawk' et al! Question: wherabouts on his person would a pilot carry his knife? Is there a pocket for it on the standard survival vest? :think:

With the SRU-21 vests, these were sewn onto the left side of the vest by the top portion of the scabbard and the string at the bottom woven through the Rochele material. On the AIRSAVE, there is a pocket as is the case with the OD covered knife and then that pocket was MOLLE strapped to the vest. With the Current Air Warrior, the knife comes with a leg strap system that some commanders try making crewmembers wear them on their legs, but if it is not required, there is a MOLLE strap on the back to attach it directly to the vest. The OV-1 vest has a pocket that the knife and scabbard goes into.

Don't have photos, but have a few Pilot knives. JPKs--Camillus 9-84, Camillus 3-67, MMB 7-93. Also a Woodsman Pal 10", and two 1950s Pilot knives both Imperial straight, and bent guard. Trying to get someone to get me a good camera for Christmas. SKIP

With the SRU-21 vests, these were sewn onto the left side of the vest by the top portion of the scabbard and the string at the bottom woven through the Rochele material. On the AIRSAVE, there is a pocket as is the case with the OD covered knife and then that pocket was MOLLE strapped to the vest. With the Current Air Warrior, the knife comes with a leg strap system that some commanders try making crewmembers wear them on their legs, but if it is not required, there is a MOLLE strap on the back to attach it directly to the vest. The OV-1 vest has a pocket that the knife and scabbard goes into.

Thanks for the detailed explanation Hawk'! :thumbsup:

Here is my Aircrew Knife, not a big deal, Camillus dated 1985. I bought this at a surplus store as a teenager, had it with me in the Service (stayed packed away and never used it LOL) then took it to me when I moved to Alaska and took it with me backpacking quite a few times.

post-66-0-67084200-1406307784.jpg

My Dad was in a Torpedo Squadron during the War, he only recalls the knife he was issued as a "Navy Sheath Knife", I'd think it would be a Mk.I or Mk.II? Wonder why know one has posted one of them yet? He also carried a knife that was made by his Uncle when his Squadron flew strikes.
Thanks
Mark

hawkdriver:

You have some very nice blades there.

Here is a 10 year old pic of some of my Jet Pilot Knives. There have been a few additions since then but I don't have the time to take pics right now, so this old one will have to do.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

P5120087.jpg

Charlie, you have some very nice blades yourselves. Is that bottom center bright blade a Marble?

My Dad was in a Torpedo Squadron during the War, he only recalls the knife he was issued as a "Navy Sheath Knife", I'd think it would be a Mk.I or Mk.II? Wonder why know one has posted one of them yet?

In another thread, I posted a picture of several Navy MK1 sheath knives and a couple of Camillus USN sheath knives. Tomorrow, I may drag a couple of pictures over here. I have a guy that has one of the big survival pocket knives we always see, still in the Navy cloth carrier, never seen one of those.

Charlie Flick
Is that bottom center bright blade a Marble?

Hawk:

Yes, that is a Marbles Jet Pilot Knife, as is the one of the left of it in the drawer.

Regards,

Charlie

With the Current Air Warrior, the knife comes with a leg strap system that some commanders try making crewmembers wear them on their legs, but if it is not required, there is a MOLLE strap on the back to attach it directly to the vest.

And we've had some recent examples of pilots eating the pointy pommels of knives on their vests.

I strap mine to my leg.

OK the sun came out.

Starting out with some WW2 knives;

Here are some Camillus knives,
post-66-0-60217800-1406307919.jpg
Two examples of 5in pilots knives and a folding machete.
post-66-0-78579600-1406307936.jpg
Close up of the ricasso markings,

More examples: The first knife is a Case that my father-in-law carried as a Glider Pilot, Next is a Western Baby Shark, At the end of the War pilots started getting issued a big folder with a saw blade, This one is made by Colonial, and a V-44 Case XX.

A bunch of 1953 pilots knives;

The two on the left are Imperials and the two on the right are Shrade-Waldens.

IMG_0090-1.jpg

A couple more Camillus the one on the right is sterile.

DCP_1436.jpg

A couple of 6in Camillus Jet Pilots knives, one screw on pommel and one peened.

DCP_1423.jpg

DCP_1424.jpg

Camillus 5in blades;

early ricasso stamped blade, 1-1967 transition knife made with 66 over run blade and pommel marked, 11-68 pommel marked knife.

DCP_1437.jpg

More JPSK’s Left is a 1-1969 Ontario dyed all black, center is a Milpar, right is my 1-1973 Ontario.

IMG_0091-1.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

Camillus MC-1

DCP_1445.jpg