1943 Snow Shoes?

tbirdismypride

tbirdismypride
post-1973-1196713836.jpgHello, My father in law just recently picked these up at our Flea Market. They are marked U.S. 1943. They are in perfect shape and appear to have never been worn.

craig_pickrall

That is a nice set of Bear Paws but they are missing the binding that attaches it to the boot.

tbirdismypride
That is a nice set of Bear Paws but they are missing the binding that attaches it to the boot.

Thanks!! I knew that something was missing but I didnt know how the worked. I'm from the south we have no need for them down here!! ;)

Thanks!! I knew that something was missing but I didnt know how the worked. I'm from the south we have no need for them down here!! ;)

Very nice catch. I'm eyeing a pair of those myself.

Craig ,I hate to this but I am going to have to disagree, these are not the bear paw these are the EMERGENCY SNOW SHOES.The bear paw are of a tear drop shape and larger,the middle size of the three types used by US forces the largest one is the trail snow shoe which is long and narrow. the emergency snow shoe tied onto the boots,it is a rawhide sheet that secures to the shoe and rawhide tie tapes then tie to the boots.Refer to the QM stock manuals it is described in there.The emergency snow shoes are fairly common but the rawhide sheet is very difficult to find,I have seen one and they are stamped with date and QM markings

these are the BEAR PAW snow shoes

post-56-1196800126.jpg

craig_pickrall

Dustin, that is alright with me if you disagree. In fact I agree with what you said. I knew they didn't look exactly like my set of Bear Paws but didn't think about the emergency shoe.

• 2 years later...

Hey,

I am digging up this old thread, i found it by using the search function. I wanted to ask how much these snow shoes go for nowadays, I do have the chance to buy a pair (with markings and everything) and I needed some kind of a price range for that.

Any help is highly appreciated!

Thanks!