Mills "clipped corners" First Aid Pouch

Fausto

Hi Guys!

First, sorry for opening a new topic on the rubberized first aid pouch. Actually I wanted to add the pictures to the existing thread but I made a mistake...

Now: I just got this Mills 1917 First Aid Pouch with clipped corners. I remember an old post about them. And I remember that Frankie (New Romantic) said that the Mills FA pouches are scarce, that many types were made and that these "clipped corners" are very rare. Actually he referred to the early model with belt hook passing through the grommets and not to this late pattern. Anyway I'm just wondering if you know this model and if some of you can trace the evolution of the Mills FA pouches.

Last: what do you think of the black "cross" on the hook tab? Could this be a pencilled (or stencilled) guide for a correct cross stitching or... what?

Thank for your help...

Fausto

post-8381-1322466266.jpg

post-8381-1322466280.jpg

RelicHunter99

I think its more likely that someone drew pencil on the stitching at some point after its creation, probably a previous owner or child fairly recently (within the past few decades).

If the stitching was done over top of the pencil, you wouldn't be able to see it so clearly.

RelicHunter99
I think that pouch is for the 1910 enlisted medical belt and used to carry tags (not bandages).

I would also agree with this.

I do remember seeing this for sale just recently. It included a bandage tin, correct? The seller mislabeled it as a first aid pouch when it is definitely a diagnosis tag and tools pouch. Medics would put the diagnosis tag book, a pencil, scissors and forceps in this pouch.

Yes. I got it on eBay few days ago and it will take a couple of weeks to have it over here. I'm also thinking that it could be a diagnosis pouch, and as soon as I will have it on hands, I will compare it with my other medical pouches. In any case the question about the clipped corners remains: all diagnosis pouches I have are squared corners (Mills, L.C.C.&Co., P.B.Co., Long etc.). Did you ever see a diagnosis pouch with these rounded corners?

Hope you can help...

Fausto

Yes. I got it on eBay few days ago and it will take a couple of weeks to have it over here. I'm also thinking that it could be a diagnosis pouch, and as soon as I will have it on hands, I will compare it with my other medical pouches. In any case the question about the clipped corners remains: all diagnosis pouches I have are squared corners (Mills, L.C.C.&Co., P.B.Co., Long etc.). Did you ever see a diagnosis pouch with these rounded corners?

Hope you can help...

Fausto

Yes, I have one, too. It is the early production style. This image is from the post-WW1 US Army Medical Department report and shows the Medical Department enlisted man's web belt with hand ax and diagnosis tag pouch. A similar illustration (with canteen cover extender also shown) is used in the article "Proposed Equipment for Hospital Corps Soldier" that appears in Vol. XXXVIII of The Military Surgeon, 1916.

post-943-1322591906.jpg