Major Oak Leaf marked 1/20-10K EXCEPT FITTINGS

dc9

Hello All,

The only insignia I have been able to find with the "1/20-10K EXCEPT FITTINGS" markings is over in the Wing Badges Forum. There is a posting with a loose connection to Daniel Smilo & Sons, Inc. (http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=109645&hl=except+fittings)

Has anyone seen other rank insignia with this marking? Any idea of the maker or the era? WWII?

Thanks,

Eric

post-19190-1322462289.jpg

post-19190-1322462303.jpg

Hello All,

The only insignia I have been able to find with the "1/20-10K EXCEPT FITTINGS" markings is over in the Wing Badges Forum. There is a posting with a loose connection to Daniel Smilo & Sons, Inc. (http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=109645&hl=except+fittings)

Has anyone seen other rank insignia with this marking? Any idea of the maker or the era? WWII?

Thanks,

Eric

I've got a few Smilo insignia myself, they've got the same hallmark; which isn't much of one to begin with. The only one that I've got with any additional hallmarks is a USMC Lt. Col collar pair that also has a NUS underneath the usual hallmark (see the image below with just the single pair of Lt. Col insignia)

That one from the design and more uniform shape of the leaf appears to be an Army piece, a later WWII production piece. As the war progressed the oak leaf designs started to become more uniformed, starting with the pointy and often very randomly shaped pieces (like the Gaunt one on top, and another Smilo one in between) to the final current day design (like the Meyer 22M myrgold piece on the bottom) that is in use by the Army and Air Force today (refer to the row of 3 vertical oak leaf's).

post-33458-1322963324.jpg

post-33458-1322963591.jpg

Hello All,

Thanks,

Eric

Hello Eric. I don't have a Smilo rank insignia, but I do have pilot wings that I believe are also Smilo. What I don't get is, if my wings are marked 1/20 10K, why are they silver? Was white gold used? Thanks, Al Hirschler in Dallas.

post-12790-1323180019.jpg

post-12790-1323180031.jpg

Have no clue on white gold, have never heard or read of it being used by any countries forces. Someone once brought up something profound and a question for the ages: why did the armed forces use gold and silver for their insignia anyways? We were in the middle of a major two front war and we're using precious materials for our uniform pieces? Doesn't exactly seem logical for the service uniform to be filled with gold and silver pieces does it?

• 1 year later...

I've got a few Smilo insignia myself, they've got the same hallmark; which isn't much of one to begin with. The only one that I've got with any additional hallmarks is a USMC Lt. Col collar pair that also has a NUS underneath the usual hallmark (see the image below with just the single pair of Lt. Col insignia)

That one from the design and more uniform shape of the leaf appears to be an Army piece, a later WWII production piece. As the war progressed the oak leaf designs started to become more uniformed, starting with the pointy and often very randomly shaped pieces (like the Gaunt one on top, and another Smilo one in between) to the final current day design (like the Meyer 22M myrgold piece on the bottom) that is in use by the Army and Air Force today (refer to the row of 3 vertical oak leaf's).

ge999,

I have a question about a manufacturer I did not see in the reference section. I have a pair of major leaves that are pointy like the ones in the top row of your pic, but they are marked "Green, K.C.". Do you or anyone else have any info on them? I saw a pair for sale on ebay starting at $58. The seller said they are rare because the Green company in Kansas City only made a small amount of insignia compared to other companies.

I bought my pair at an antique store for $10. They seem to be in very good shape. I was going to give them to my cousin in the Army who just got promoted to major.

Any info would be greatly appreciated,

Paul

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the late reply, things have been chaotic the past few months. It's sounds like KG Luke, a WWII Australian set. The style of Luke's oak leaves are pretty distinct, they are on the rare side, though its pretty obvious the seller is pretty clueless. The style of latch used is unique to British and Australian pieces. Various members here have sets of them that you should be able to find through a more specific search so you can get a good look at them. Like Gaunt they have the hinged pinback, instead of going right -> left they are set top -> bottom with the same kind of retention claw.

History Man

Not sure if I can add much information wise to the thread but here is a set of Infantry officer brass I have with the same marking.

Philip

post-25965-0-73404500-1368501361.jpg

post-25965-0-06921900-1368501364.jpg

• 8 years later...

I found this one on eBay just now. This is the back of a Quartermaster Corps officer insignia. You'll notice the "except fittings" is welded over by the clutch post. I never knew that's what was written on one I have before reading this thread. That's a start to trying to identify which company made it. 

image.png.3b8f4c85ab8124e59c0921c5a8946036.png