Aluminum M1 Helmet

miken

Hello

Has anyone herd of the US using a Aluminum M1 Helmet or any other type of aluminum helmet?

Thanks

Mike

Well there's this:

ali2.jpg

But I can't imagine an aluminum military helmet. However someone apparently used the dies for the WWI helmets to produce aluminum construction worker helmets:

alumhel.jpg

alumhellabe.jpg

Well there's this:

ali2.jpg

But I can't imagine an aluminum military helmet. However someone apparently used the dies for the WWI helmets to produce aluminum construction worker helmets:

post-214-1196712462.jpg

post-214-1196712477.jpg

Thanks

Thats the one someone wants to sell me. I don't know if they have any value?

Mike

Thanks

Thats the one someone wants to sell me. I don't know if they have any value?

Mike

If you collect vintage construction helmets it might be worth a bit (some vintage hard hats go for a surprisingly high amount of money), but from a militaria standpoint it has no value.

If you collect vintage construction helmets it might be worth a bit (some vintage hard hats go for a surprisingly high amount of money), but from a militaria standpoint it has no value.

I disagree, this is NOT a construction helmet at all ( as it would provide little protection) this is a post WWI parade helmet. I have had two of these, one with an enlisted cap badge, the other with a VFW badge. I still have the enlisted cap badge version. The really cool thing another these is that they are made (other than the liner of course) EXACTLY like a WWI helmet, just out of aluminum. Also the aluminum can be polished to a mirror finish ( even if they look like the one pictured) I will post a photo of my "shiny" one later. As to value I believe I sold the VFW one for about $50 (polished). If I had to march in a parade I sure would rather wear one of these ( VERY light) than a chromed steel helmet!

Of course they are a private purchase item not issue, but cool anyway (I think) ;)

I disagree, this is NOT a construction helmet at all ( as it would provide little protection) this is a post WWI parade helmet. I have had two of these, one with an enlisted cap badge, the other with a VFW badge. I still have the enlisted cap badge version. The really cool thing another these is that they are made (other than the liner of course) EXACTLY like a WWI helmet, just out of aluminum. Also the aluminum can be polished to a mirror finish ( even if they look like the one pictured) I will post a photo of my "shiny" one later. As to value I believe I sold the VFW one for about $50 (polished). If I had to march in a parade I sure would rather wear one of these ( VERY light) than a chromed steel helmet!

Of course they are a private purchase item not issue, but cool anyway (I think) ;)

There was one listed on ebay for $29.00 and it did not get a single bid. There's another still active at $19.95 and likewise not a signle bid. Granted one with a VFW logo on it might have some interest to a militaria collector, but a plain one is not militaria. George Evans & Co. made such things as firefighter helmets and back in days when people though leather football helmets provided some sort of protection it's quite easy to this kind of helmet being sold as s safety helmet. Certainly it appears to be the predecessor to the hard hats with crowns that were ribbed for strength and made deeper:

hardhat.jpg

Also the dimensions are exactly the same as a WWI M1 as seen by these comparison photos:

post-182-1196727197.jpg

post-182-1196727225.jpg

After collecting this stuff for almost 30 years I consider myself a militaria collector ,and I find it of "interest" :lol:

But of course each to his own!