My utilities

USMCRECON

I was at our storage locker earlier this afternoon putting away the Halloween bins and pulling out some of the Christmas ones when I came across one of my old Marine laundry bags. It felt like it had some folded up newspapers in it so I opened it to take a look. When I looked inside, I was surprised to find a pair of my old utilities that were issued to me in 1966.

Apparently, I had them washed and starched shortly before discharge. They were still folded up inside a clear plastic laundry bag with what would still be an acceptable starch job, even after sitting in there for over 43 years. Anyway, I thought I'd unfold them and take a picture of them, just for the heck of it.

post-1107-1322428004.jpg

Here's close-up of the pocket. The blob-that-they-called-an-EGA had long since faded and I had put a new one on in about Jan 67 with a stencil I got at clothing sales.

post-1107-1322428109.jpg

Funny, though.....all my old Marine Corps uniforms, whether wool and cotton, have shrunken at about the same rate over the decades. It didn't seem to matter if they were hanging in my closet or folded up in my sea bag, laundfered or dry cleaned. :lol:

I've got some similar heavily starched fatigues in my collection...the shirt will practically support itself! :w00t: As a matter of interest, how comfortable...or not...were such starched uniforms to wear?

I've got some similar heavily starched fatigues in my collection...the shirt will practically support itself! :w00t: As a matter of interest, how comfortable...or not...were such starched uniforms to wear?

I can tell you from 1st person experience.....they were definitely NOT comfortable to wear when starched. ;)