Harley WLA in Belgium 1944

Johan Willaert

Johan Willaert

Hi all,

I'm trying to find out what unit this motorcycle is marked to?

From what I can make out the markings are

3A or 3/\ which would be either 3rd Army or 3rd Armored Div

812 or 817 followed by another letter/number (O for Ordnance unit? Q for Quartermaster? Something else???, Maybe 817TD for Tank Destroyer Bn??)

A13 or A15 for Company and Vehicle Number

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Anyone have an Organisation roster for the 3rd Army of 1944???

Thanks,

Johan

TopKickCemetery.jpg

TopKickCemeteryDetailMarking.jpg

craig_pickrall

Johan, I could not find any unit with a 812 in the ETO. The following are the 817 units I could find.

817 Engineer Aviation Battalion

817 Medical Air Evacuation Squadron

817 Military Police Company

817 Ordnance Base Depot Company

817 Tank Destroyer Battalion

Hope this is some help.

craig_pickrall

I tried to find that too but with no luck. I do know that the 817 TD was not in the 3rd AD but it could have been in 3rd Army. It was in Warburg, Germany in AUG, 1945.

Campaigns of the 817 TD

Northern France 25 JULY 44 - 14 SEPT 44

Rhineland 15 SEPT 44 - 21 MAR 45

Central Europe 22 MAR 45 - 11 MAY 45

craig_pickrall

The 3rd AD had no 817 numbered unit assigned or attached during the 44 - 45 time period. I am looking for a TO&E for 3rd Army now.

craig_pickrall

I can not find a good TO&E for 3rd Army. The best info I found was in the book Lucky Forward. That does not list any 817 numbered unit in 3rd Army. The only TD Bn listed was 811.

• 3 weeks later...
Captain Woody
Doesn't get better than above...

Original picture's about 4"x3"

I doubt it will be of help, but I'd bet a month's pay that it says "A15" on the Motorcycle.

Here is another one for Johan ( He likes HD'S)

This private pic has been taken by the mother of my neighbour, in Amay, vicinity of Liège -Belgium

Supposedly 3rd Armored Division which liberated the city in September 1944

The factory of my neighbor's parents has thereafter been converted in a US army vehicle repair shop and M29 Weasel assembly factory

I will post some other pictures on another forem's subject

Teufelhund

7wrrj20.jpg

The 817th (towed at gun) and the 812th (towed at gun) Tank Destroyer Bn's had 11 motorcycle's attached to them 7 May 43

The A could mean T/O 18-25 TD dated 27 Jan 1943 ?

[ Great photos, The markings are interesting, but the wire cutter mounted on the WLA is out of this world! I had several vets tell me about placing wire cutters on their WLAs while I still had mine but that's the first photo of one actually installed!

Thanks for sharing

Tom

[ Great photos, The markings are interesting, but the wire cutter mounted on the WLA is out of this world! I had several vets tell me about placing wire cutters on their WLAs while I still had mine but that's the first photo of one actually installed!

Thanks for sharing

Tom

Great idea , the wire cutter,

If the driver had prevented himself for being beheaded, he will certainly be smashed by the motorcycle crash caused after this device had cut the wire

T

T

Johan,

I found out that the 817th TD was in 3rd US army some time before being in AdSec (or how you name that unit).

Several Veterans in that book from Turner's Publication on Tank Destroyers talk about that (page 207 and 227 for example).

Could it be that the marking was left on by this man?

One Veteran even stated he was in a motorcycle accident in Belgium.

For me, it could be plausible that 817th TD came into France with markings: 3A - 817TD and left them on - or at least several vehicles - while in AdSec.

The unit also saw action in Hürtgen and at the time of The Bulge occupied holding positions near Schmidt (?).

I hope this helps.

Erwin

Johan Willaert
I found out that the 817th TD was in 3rd US army some time before being in AdSec (or how you name that unit).

Thanks Erwin, does it say what timeframe???

Johan,

Well, as far as I can understand, they were in 3rd Army when in France, so after coming ashore on August 25, 1944 and through Saint-Lô.

They were in Adsec after that.

At the time of the Hürtgen and Ardennes, they were with 8th Division.

And in April 1945, they switched over to M-18 Tank Destroyers and were with 104th Division.

Erwin

Johan Willaert

I was assuming the picture was taken somewhere in Belgium, late 1944, because they came out of the Ardennes...

But it's possible it was taken in France at the end of August, early September 1944...

• 6 months later...

Hello Johan,

Any luck in finding the unit yet?

Looking at the trees (still with leaves) in the background I think it's (late) summer, maybe early fall. But not later.

• 2 weeks later...

Johan:

You should publish a photo album of the WLA. I know I'd buy it! You seem to always find the best ones!

Brian