• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Field Desk Display

I got my field desk off Craigs list for $150 including shipping. It was one of the largest WWII Models held for the battalion I think. Anyway, Mine was missing the small middle drawer. The 2 members on this post with that desk and the small drawer, can you all PM me measurements and pictures? I am going to make another one out of some old pine.

Also, regarding typewriters. I found an early 1940's (either 40-43) OD green Smith Corona Typewriter. I know you see alot and they are black, but the OD Model HAD to be one used by the military. I never have seen another one like it.

FYI, I have another EARLY smith corona black that is also early 1940's (again 40-43). I probably will sell it. The only thing it needs is a new ribbon. Other than that, its in great shape. It has a great case with an OLD college pennant sticker from the 1940's on the front.

The typewriters are fairly easy to find. There have been some nice field desks that come up on ebay relatively cheap from time to time. I saw one with a buy it now for $75 and $25 for shipping a few weeks back. It was a smaller company model, but in great shape. I wish I would have gotten the smaller version as the one I have is pretty large. I will still keep it, but it would be nice to be smaller.

I just bought an old desk 1930's or early 40's, that would probably have been seen in an Army office. That was the impression I wanted to have in my home, an entire WWII Army office with clock, desk, field desk (Just for looks, chairs, lamps, typewriters, coat/hat rack, everything. I have most all of this now, just not a room to use to put it in. I am waiting for my wife and I to purchase a home, then I can have my "war, office room"

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my field desk off Craigs list for $150 including shipping. It was one of the largest WWII Models held for the battalion I think. Anyway, Mine was missing the small middle drawer. The 2 members on this post with that desk and the small drawer, can you all PM me measurements and pictures? I am going to make another one out of some old pine.

Also, regarding typewriters. I found an early 1940's (either 40-43) OD green Smith Corona Typewriter. I know you see alot and they are black, but the OD Model HAD to be one used by the military. I never have seen another one like it.

FYI, I have another EARLY smith corona black that is also early 1940's (again 40-43). I probably will sell it. The only thing it needs is a new ribbon. Other than that, its in great shape. It has a great case with an OLD college pennant sticker from the 1940's on the front.

The typewriters are fairly easy to find. There have been some nice field desks that come up on ebay relatively cheap from time to time. I saw one with a buy it now for $75 and $25 for shipping a few weeks back. It was a smaller company model, but in great shape. I wish I would have gotten the smaller version as the one I have is pretty large. I will still keep it, but it would be nice to be smaller.

I just bought an old desk 1930's or early 40's, that would probably have been seen in an Army office. That was the impression I wanted to have in my home, an entire WWII Army office with clock, desk, field desk (Just for looks, chairs, lamps, typewriters, coat/hat rack, everything. I have most all of this now, just not a room to use to put it in. I am waiting for my wife and I to purchase a home, then I can have my "war, office room"

I have a question about the typewriters. After reading this thread the other day I visited an antique mall and of course, all the typewriters caught my eye. There was one in very nice condition and it was an UNDERWOOD in a portable case. There was a warranty type label on the case that had a form number which I computed to be 1935. The price was $45 plus tax. Is the typewriter that would have been used or would it be a wartime date? How about the price? Thanks.

Check out my website of Military Relics and Collectibles: http://www.ourboysof98.com
I try to update it by adding several new items each month, so keep checking back.

Thanks,
keith

donation2011.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• 2 years later...

I have two spare middle drawers. Did you make one that you are satisfied with?

o Writer, including contributions to World at War Magazine,

Vietnam Magazine, Discovering Family History, Family Chronicle,

Oregon State Bar Bulletin, Portland Family Magazine
o Owner 1943 Ford Jeep
o Collector WWII German Submarine badges
o I love WWII home front materials

This must be the field desk portion of the forum. I'll try to import a picture of my battalion or regimental size field desk. Try and remember that this type of desk is LARGER than the company desk. And will overwhelm a field table as shown in UPNATM's photo. Be careful what you wish for, I have plenty of space and still use mine for storage. Sorry no photos.

"They'd rather be alive than free; poor dumb bastards."

Great topic - glad to see it get kicked to the top again :thumbsup: ! !

I won't get wordy with my additions; just going to add some pictures of some of my relevant items.

My apologies in advance for my hasty photos - afraid I didn't put much effort into them.

And my large field desk has been a "working" part of my collection for 30 years, so I didn't worry too much about details.

I'll do my best to answer questions, should there be any . . .

Best regards,

Paul

post-6057-1301793471.jpg

donation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

Here's a 2 - hole punch, for use in general filing. As we've all seen over the years, this was a very common way of securing wartime paperwork in folders.

This one came from items disposed of at the WW2 Marine Barracks, here in Klamath Falls.

Paul

post-6057-1301793861.jpg

donation2009.gif

Afraid I'm not much of a field desk reference source, for technical descriptions, models mfg'd., etc. - I've never even attempted to find a TM or source.

That being said, I'll gladly invite any info that may be out there regarding proper designations, and such. :thumbsup:

These next few photos are of one that I've heard refered to as an "Officer's Field Desk". Now obviously every officer in the USA & USMC didn't have an orderly packing one of these things around, so the correct name, place of use, and distribution of these desks I have no clue of . . .

I found this one at a flea market in Eugene, Oregon some 20 years ago. It's got a few scrapes and bruises to the exterior, however it shows no sign of use whatsoever (other than by me ;) ).

The exterior lock keys I didn't picture but have, and the locking hasp functions perfectly.

There is also an interior locking drawer, with two removeable trays and a recessed storage area below them.

The 2 original keys for this drawer are still held by a staple to the interior, and haven't been used.

Please chime in if you have questions or information on this one.

Paul

post-6057-1301797935.jpg

donation2009.gif

And lastly for tonight, is a recent find from the same source as the Marine Barracks 2 - hole paper punch. This is one module of a stacking portable file drawer system. the exterior parts are oak, with what appears to be either pine or beachwood used in the interior of the drawer structure. There are little wooden rollers on the drawer, that run very smoothly on wooden rails inside.

A very well made little cabinet.

post-6057-1301798899.jpg

donation2009.gif

post-32632-1301934727.jpg And back again to the field desk forum. For typewriter info and parts try; Mytypewriter.com, there is a plan for an Army field table on 30th inf div website. Just google U.S. Army field table, PDF file. And finally lets try for that photo again,(re-sized)

post-32632-1301934662.jpg

"They'd rather be alive than free; poor dumb bastards."