Field Desk Display

Hi,

I am in the process of getting ready for my first local display that I am going to put on at a VFW Post. I am quite excited and have begun making the descriptive papers that will give a general overview of what the certain item was used for during the war. This is the first of the many display papers that I have designed and printed out for my collection.

I also setup my field desk and tried different setups with it trying to figure out how it will look for when I actually put it up at the VFW Post. If I had more time I would sit and track down more of the authentic items that are WWII period to add into the field desk display but it is to late to do so now.

Hope you like it and when I put the display on I will be sure to take some pictures of all the items I am going to put on display and post them here for all to see. ;)

- Jeff

post-1090-1196655178.jpg

9/11: The Pearl Harbor of Our Time

22-orange.jpgI Proudly Support Our Troops And The War On Terror. 22-orange.jpg

We are winning the War on Terror. Learn more at: www.MoveAmericaForward.org

Tell Obama that we need to keep jobs here in the U.S., NOT overseas!

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now you need your Remmington Rand typewrighter.

Looks great vault. I am always looking for wrighting material, v-mail, stationary etc.. for my future desk or footlocker. Cool stuff.

pmshindy

Paul Shindelar, WWII collector, CBI, Air Corp, 14th AF and Army ETO items.

My intrest comes from family history, Uncle 1st Lt. Carl H. Leuenberger Navigator 27th Troop Carrier SQ., 14th AF. Oct. 41-Dec.-46.

• 2 weeks later...
I have most everything except the desk.

Nice displays guys, looks great. thumbsup.gif

LtRGFRANK, I am in the same predicament as you. I have everything for my display including a 1940 Royal typewriter. The desk is the last peice I need.

I have been trying to look local because the freight will kill ya if you get one online.

"The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke

Just keep looking. I went almost eight years before I came across a nice T-handled shovel at a reasonable price. Then I found three of them in a row for less than $10 each.

Your field desk is out there! And keep in mind there are at least two, if not three different versions of the tabletop desk and then the larger, late war version.

Tom thumbsup.gif

Learn to ride hard, shoot straight, dance well and so live that you can, if necessary, look any man in the eye and tell him to go to Hell! US Cavalry Manual, 1923

WWII APS

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gif

donation2009.gifdonation2011.gif

**PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER HAS SADLY PASSED AWAY**

There are four versions ive seen. The freight on ebay is a killer. But listen, the two desks I have are from ebay. I found them either in the "miltaria:other" or "militaria:date unknown" catergories. I think I paid about $200 for both including shipping. I'm hoping to find a good mine detector set with the same stragedy.

m_84bf823e2768e58693ba37c2e892e4d7.jpg

RIP Army BDUs. You will be missed.

Just an infantry LT Living behind the dumpsters of Airborne School

Fort Benning, GA

There are four versions ive seen. The freight on ebay is a killer. But listen, the two desks I have are from ebay. I found them either in the "miltaria:other" or "militaria:date unknown" catergories. I think I paid about $200 for both including shipping. I'm hoping to find a good mine detector set with the same stragedy.

There is actually one on ebay right now. Only thing, its dated 48. I will hold out for a wwii dated one.

Here is the number.............

Edmund Burke

There is actually one on ebay right now. Only thing, its dated 48. I will hold out for a wwii dated one.

Here is the number.............

Its stenciled 1948... But I can be there is or was a plate right above the lock that was dated 1944 or 1943. My company level field desk had a stencil date of 1992 on the side which I removed and a brass plate from 1942.

m_84bf823e2768e58693ba37c2e892e4d7.jpg

RIP Army BDUs. You will be missed.

Just an infantry LT Living behind the dumpsters of Airborne School

Fort Benning, GA

• 3 months later...

So after many months of looking for a field desk Craigs list finally came through for me. I picked up a 1/10/45 dated type II fiber record chest for $75 bucks.

The thing has had a busy life and sports a bunch of different unit markings painted on it. On the front it also says

Ship to: Port Trans o.

San Francisco P.O.E

Oakland Army Base

Oakland Calif.

The inside of it is very clean and except for two missing drawer pulls the thing in complete. I set up a quick display, here is a pic.

Oh ya, if anyone has any idea where to find the drawer pulls I am missing let me know. thumbsup.gif

miscpics501.jpg

Edmund Burke

So after many months of looking for a field desk Craigs list finally came through for me. I picked up a 1/10/45 dated type II fiber record chest for $75 bucks.

The thing has had a busy life and sports a bunch of different unit markings painted on it. On the front it also says

Ship to: Port Trans o.

San Francisco P.O.E

Oakland Army Base

Oakland Calif.

The inside of it is very clean and except for two missing drawer pulls the thing in complete. I set up a quick display, here is a pic.

Oh ya, if anyone has any idea where to find the drawer pulls I am missing let me know. thumbsup.gif

miscpics501.jpg

One nice display, thumbsup.gif

may I inquire, what is the small green canister behind the typewriter on the bottom shelf?

Cpl James A Paris, USMC
Stinger Missile Gunner
H&S Co. Support Bn MCRDSD 2002-2003

MarDet Ft Bliss, TX 2003
2nd Plt 1st Stinger Btry, Okinawa 2003-2004
2nd Plt A Btry 3rd LAAD BN Camp Pendleton, CA 2004-2006

Please visit my blog: http://ourcountrysheroes.blogspot.com/

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

THE CANNISTER LOOKS LIKE A PLASTIC ISSUE WATER PROOF MATCH SAFE.CORRECT??

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

THE CANNISTER LOOKS LIKE A PLASTIC ISSUE WATER PROOF MATCH SAFE.CORRECT??

Correct. thumbsup.gif

Edmund Burke

• 2 months later...
. . . if anyone has any idea where to find the drawer pulls I am missing let me know.

These aren't a perfect match, but they're pretty darn close: http://www.dlawlesshardware.com/p22-b332sb.html. It looks like the screw holes may not be in exactly the right position, but the overall dimensions are the same as the pulls on my 1940 field desk.

Bill

Looking for older Virginia Military Institute items: insignia, uniforms, cadet sabers, documents, and groupings belonging to VMI alumni.

Also interested in Virginia Reserve Militia (VRM) uniforms and insignia, or other items of general Virginia interest.

Just do yourself a favor when you look to actually buy a typewriter, get one that is pre-1945. I'd say at least half of all displays I've ever seen have had typewriters that are very much postwar!

More info on that subject here:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...opic=11032&

Lee Bishop Formerly known as "Ratchet 5" with the 2nd Infantry Division (yes, in REAL life)

US WW2 War Correspondent collector

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I never tire of seeing your collection Dan! jeal0001.gif I still think your WWI bunker scene is the best! twothumbup.gif

- Jeff

• 5 months later...

Hello,

I´m currently restoring an old 1942 record chest I have found on Ebay a couple of month ago.

I´m done with the chest it self and now I´m trying to build the inner compartments.

Unfortunately the condition was quite bad when I received it so I had to repaint it (I realy was in strugle with my self if I should overpaint the old markings - finally I did it crying.gif ).

For the case some one is interetsed in some pictures check this external link: Record Chest

@ DALBEY58

I have found the drawer pulls on Ebay. I will check for the seller and will post the link here.

Not sure if the diameter is correct but these were the only I have found at a reasonable price.

I wonder how the drawers where built (Plywood or real wood) inner compartments and drawers where built. Maybe some one can post some detailed pictures. w00t.gif

Save Your Butt - Wear A Helmet

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2012.gif

Paper that describes the item.....

- Jeff

I was unaware that the ink was in tablet form...just add water? Makes sense. I have had a couple of desks but due to weight and space considerations have moved them on down the line. I DO like them however. Thanks for the post.

Check out my website of Military Relics and Collectibles: http://www.ourboysof98.com
I try to update it by adding several new items each month, so keep checking back.

Thanks,
keith

donation2011.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Very nice desk Chap15! twothumbup.gif I know that the military during WWII used the typewriters in the portable case, but did they use ones like yours without a portable case?

- Jeff