Allied Forces Central-Navy

chcole1

Just picked this up on EB. It was sold as being from the 70s-early 80s, so it wasn't a surprise to me when the white threads glowed. Given the back it seems like it's german made.

I'm curious if the shade of blue is correct for Navy. I think most of the ones I've seen before are fakes, so if anyone has one, please let me know if this one is correct. Also would it be considered more common/less valuable since it glows, or is that expected for a patch that is post 1950s?

Chris

post-17690-1322267655.jpg

post-17690-1322267663.jpg

Just picked this up on EB. It was sold as being from the 70s-early 80s, so it wasn't a surprise to me when the white threads glowed. Given the back it seems like it's german made.

I'm curious if the shade of blue is correct for Navy. I think most of the ones I've seen before are fakes, so if anyone has one, please let me know if this one is correct. Also would it be considered more common/less valuable since it glows, or is that expected for a patch that is post 1950s?

Chris

The only variant that I was 100% sure of was the army HQ (red rectangle), bevo manufacture. I'm also curious whether the entire series (green, dark blue, medium blue) exists in bevo. I picked up the repro series in the early 1970s from H.G. Saunders, who then was based in Ohio.

Bob

The only variant that I was 100% sure of was the army HQ (red rectangle), bevo manufacture. I'm also curious whether the entire series (green, dark blue, medium blue) exists in bevo. I picked up the repro series in the early 1970s from H.G. Saunders, who then was based in Ohio.

Bob

Bob,

We got the "set" of four patches from Ray Morrone back when he was doing his thing in the '70's. I have seen the red BeVO variant as you describe, but we also have the red fully embroidered version on a fatigue shirt that has not been messed with. I cannot recall at this moment, but I have also seen the green embroidered version that I believe to be real. It is the two blue variants that I suspect may never have been real (issue items).

Patch Johnson

Understand, I have never heard of these. So, thins is puerly informational to me. I was wondering, as far as the Navy would be concerned, since we didn't wear shoulder insignia, where would these patches have been worn for the Navy? Not saying they didn't exsist, just never heard of them and am courious.

Steve Hesson

Bob,

We got the "set" of four patches from Ray Morrone back when he was doing his thing in the '70's. I have seen the red BeVO variant as you describe, but we also have the red fully embroidered version on a fatigue shirt that has not been messed with. I cannot recall at this moment, but I have also seen the green embroidered version that I believe to be real. It is the two blue variants that I suspect may never have been real (issue items).

Patch Johnson

Thanks, Dave. Since the red and green ones may be genuine, I'm glad I kept my set. If you still have a copy, it would be worth posting Marrone's list. Many of those he got from a German source are still unintentionally passed off as good. As an impressionable youth, I remember getting from him the 7th Cav Bde set, old 2nd Log Cmd, 81st Chem Mtr Bn, Allied Forces Southeastern Europe, etc., luckily, for only a couple bucks a patch. The key tip off for his repros was that the threads were very "scratchy." These AFCE patches, on the other hand, are very well made.

Bob

Bob

That's a good question. I never thought about it.

Anyone know?

Chris

My guess is that these were to be worn on hangers off the shirt pocket, like the metal SHAPE or AMF badges you see around. I remember the Allied Forces Southern Europe patch being worn in a plastic sheath in this manner, the summer army uniform of the day being short-sleeved khaki, with no room for an SSI.

Bob

My guess is that these were to be worn on hangers off the shirt pocket, like the metal SHAPE or AMF badges you see around. I remember the Allied Forces Southern Europe patch being worn in a plastic sheath in this manner, the summer army uniform of the day being short-sleeved khaki, with no room for an SSI.

Bob

OK, works for me. I have never heard of this organization, so just asking, when did it exsist? Would they have had enlisted Sailors as part or it? I would suppose they had some sort of weaighted pocket hanger (weight going in the pocket) to wear this on a jumper as ther are no buttons to attach it to on the fromt. Would be great to see some sort of ohoto of USN folks with this.

Steve Hesson

here's some info from usarmygermany.com

http://usarmygermany.com/Sont.htm

Click the AFCENT History link.

There are also pics shown. It looks like most wore it as a hanger (fob). Interesting how different countries wear them on right or left pocket.

Steve I'm not familiar with the Navy uniform. Is it unusual to wear a pocket hanger?

On the same site is a 1965 org chart for NATO that shows Air Force Units under AF CENT but no Navy, however SHAPE was responsible for the area from northern tip of Norway to Southern Med. Interesting.

Chris

I remembered the post but forgot about the info from the book. Come to think of it, I saw one of the blue ones made for the Belgian AF units for sale not too long ago out of England.

Chris

here's some info from usarmygermany.com

http://usarmygermany.com/Sont.htm

Click the AFCENT History link.

There are also pics shown. It looks like most wore it as a hanger (fob). Interesting how different countries wear them on right or left pocket.

Steve I'm not familiar with the Navy uniform. Is it unusual to wear a pocket hanger?

On the same site is a 1965 org chart for NATO that shows Air Force Units under AF CENT but no Navy, however SHAPE was responsible for the area from northern tip of Norway to Southern Med. Interesting.

Chris

It is not a normal thing. They have been worn, there is w whole thread on them from Viet Nam. But these were worn on Dungarees and Jungle uniforms. The Navy dress Blue and White uniforms for both Officers and Enlisted do not hafe pocket buttons. I am sure they were worn if every one else was wearing them, just interested in how they would wear them.

Steve Hesson

Dave, curious who Ray Morrone was?

Chris

Ray was a dealer back in the early 1970s out of Cambell, CA. I think he died later in the decade or the 1980s.

Bob