USAF blue work shirt

jayhawkhenry

I am still learning about USAF uniforms. I picked up this shirt for the 1st Helicopter Sq. Could someone help me with a time period and what the rest of the uniform would be? Thanks

post-2722-1322237005.jpg

I guess I should just take the patch off and forget the shirt. I have not been able to find any info on when this type of uniform was used or what went with it.

Don't take the patch's off yet.

The 1st Helicopter Squadron is a United States Air Force unit based at Andrews Air Force Base, Maryland assigned to the 316th Wing that supports Washington D.C. capital area airlift for the Executive Branch, high-ranking dignitaries, high ranking military leaders and other VIPs. The squadron is tasked to support key government officials as well as search and rescue missions. Currently the squadron operates UH-1N Huey helicopters acquired in the early 1970s.[2] Air Force Global Strike Command also operates the UH-1N and has proposed the Common Vertical Lift Support Platform (CVLSP) program to seek a replacement to their UH-1Ns.[3]

A lot of the maintance guys at Andrews worn special blue fatigues to look more elite as do the ground crews of the T Birds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_Helicopter_Squadron

Thanks for the reply's. I've been doing some digging about this one too and discovered that this is the 1st version of the 1st Helicopter Sq Patch. From what I found out, it was only used for a few months from July 1969 to Feb 1070 when the design was changed. So it seems this is a rare patched shirt from 1969. Now I need to know what the rest of the uniform consisted of?

Henry

post-2722-1322418259.jpg

I read the thread about blue fatigues. This shinola is lighter in color than the fatigues and the buttons are different. It is darker than the shirt that goes with dark blue dress uniform and has a label from a uniform shop.

The shirt is much different then the crew blues from the late 70 to mid 80's. Is there a label in it. It might have been local purchase.

Horace Small is a uniform supply company, and I would guess that this was a private purchase shirt (maybe the unit, or part of the unit bought them) to provide a sort of distinctive uniform for the new 1st Helicopter Squadron. It may be pretty rare and was only worn for a short time.

• 2 months later...

Don't take the patch off, it'll ruin the overall history of the uniform. I just emailed a couple of friends about this set. I'd call the Morale Uniforms designed to set certain personnel aside from others and build there self esteem. They are cut exactly like my fatigues in 65 as well as the OD-105's. You will find them worn by crew chiefs with such patches as Eagle F-15 Chief on them. There may still be some worn by special units such as the Andrews AFB VIP section. I'm trying to confirm that now. These uniform will be covered in Volume Two of Into the Blue, USAF Uniforms 1947 to Present. Also covered will be all of the fatigues, BDUs, DBUs,the ABU and the new MultiCam being issued. Also a great section on Mess Dress, Security forces and all of those things not covered in Vol 1. The missile operator in the photo is wearing his blues that can be a set of these or coveralls. I'll have photos showing the wear of this uniform with Unit Ball cap, white belt and bloused boots with latter laces. If you need any further info just ask.

Good hunting with your collection.

Lance

I've a lighter blue one as well. From what I've read it was worn for VIP transport crews.

Special Air Missions is the air transportation for the President, Vice President, Cabinet, members of Congress, and other high-ranking American and foreign dignitaries.

Made by "Engineered work garments" It's from the 89th Organizational Maintenance Sq.

004-2.jpg

006-2.jpg

Here's a more "recent" one... direct embroidered...

From the 65th Airlift Sq. Special Missions. Provides executive airlift in the pacific theater.

Shirt is made by "Dickies"

011-2.jpg

012-2.jpg

This one is just from the Osan Air Base site, in the photos section, Nov. 2011. Member is a transient alert crew/crash member, but his overall look/style is similar to this version of the shirt, I believe his is a coveralls...

AnthonyFUrankarJr51stMaintenanceSq.jpg

This one I have yet to narrow down, I imagine its function is about the same as the others...

023-1.jpg

It's a stamped with "shirt man's cotton tropical, short sleeve without loops" lower left hem below the last buttons.

Glad you like it! Hope you purchased it when it was $53 on Amazon. Amazon now has it at $80!! Brother Johnny just got to me the DVD on his chapters on Mess Dress and Ceremonial uniforms. Dave has been ill and has had a tough time working on the fatigue chapters. I have the SF and all of the other gear pretty well done. Schiffer told me that if I couldn't get it to them by mid month that it would be in the 2013 catalog but if I get it to them in a couple of months it should be out to Amazon by summer. Got some great photos of pre Air Police Provost Marshall's badges and a wide variety of brassards. A friend is bringing me an ABU brassard from Iraq. Can't wait to get a hold of it. An SF khaki jumpsuit used in one of the hqtrs. And now a number of the blue fatigues. I call them fatigues because they are cut just like the 60's OD-105's. Right now I have 1,000+ photos and of course the publisher wants me to cut that down removing the nonessential photos. As any author I believe they are ALL essential. So after a long story look for it hopefully this summer.

Best

Lance

Glad you like it! Hope you purchased it when it was $53 on Amazon. Amazon now has it at $80!! Brother Johnny just got to me the DVD on his chapters on Mess Dress and Ceremonial uniforms. Dave has been ill and has had a tough time working on the fatigue chapters. I have the SF and all of the other gear pretty well done. Schiffer told me that if I couldn't get it to them by mid month that it would be in the 2013 catalog but if I get it to them in a couple of months it should be out to Amazon by summer. Got some great photos of pre Air Police Provost Marshall's badges and a wide variety of brassards. A friend is bringing me an ABU brassard from Iraq. Can't wait to get a hold of it. An SF khaki jumpsuit used in one of the hqtrs. And now a number of the blue fatigues. I call them fatigues because they are cut just like the 60's OD-105's. Right now I have 1,000+ photos and of course the publisher wants me to cut that down removing the nonessential photos. As any author I believe they are ALL essential. So after a long story look for it hopefully this summer.

Best

Lance

Thanks Lance. I look forward to it. I'll visit Schiffer's website from time to time and when the details pop up on there I'll pre-order with Amazon (just as I did with Vol. 1!)

Ian :thumbsup: