Acid Damage?

Austin R

About a week ago I bought this Chrismas Card, Today I noticed a shadow on the detail. When you open the card up there is this slit of paper. I am not sure if it was the ink running off the paper or if the paper is acidic. Is it Acid Damage and if it is should I remove it?

Happy Thanksgiving,

Austin

From what I can see in the photos it does give the appearance of an "acid burn" created by pigment or possibly adhesive transfer through the support.

It can be neutralized, but not by home remedy (were it mine to do).

Reversing this would be relatively inexpensive, in the hands of any paper conservator.

From what I can see in the photos it does give the appearance of an "acid burn" created by pigment or possibly adhesive transfer through the support.

It can be neutralized, but not by home remedy (were it mine to do).

Reversing this would be relatively inexpensive, in the hands of any paper conservator.

Do you think just removing it would be ok? It doesn't take away from the card.

Do you think just removing it would be ok? It doesn't take away from the card.

Not having the artifact in my own hands, it is dangerous to say "Yes"

But, IF it looks like the dark material CAN be separated without damage, then fine.

What I was basing my first comment on (again, not having the piece in my hands) is that the dark stripe areas "appeared" to be a typical acid burn; which does not separate from anything but rather becomes part of the paper fiber itself, as a stain, one might say.

Not having the artifact in my own hands, it is dangerous to say "Yes"

But, IF it looks like the dark material CAN be separated without damage, then fine.

What I was basing my first comment on (again, not having the piece in my hands) is that the dark stripe areas "appeared" to be a typical acid burn; which does not separate from anything but rather becomes part of the paper fiber itself, as a stain, one might say.

Thank you for the help. I removed it with no problem.