Unknown 1943-dated Uniform & Cape

FW12

When I saw this uniform for sale on ebay recently, I thought: what is that? I waned to get a closer look and placed a bid. I was the only bidder, and it arrived here a few days ago.

I don't have many clues about the uniform. The uniform came from the Seattle area, and is IDed to Bill Nick (dated 8/20/43). It's made out of the rougher wool typically of many officer's uniforms from the 20s-early 30s. The buttons are also the vegetable ivory-type common on many WWI uniforms. Interesting red-on-black trim around the cuffs and on the trouser legs. Exterior pockets of the uniform are all false. The uniform used to have patches, but they're gone. Typical military ID written on the lining: S9112.

The uniform also came with a cape, tailored by Nudelman Bros. of Seattle. IDed to Robert Lee Burton. Beautiful magenta satin lining, same wool as the uniform.

Any ideas on what this uniform might be?

Beau

post-88-1322173416.jpg

post-88-1322173422.jpg

• 1 month later...
My guess is that it is some sort of State Guard officer uniform (NOT NG!).

G

Thanks, Gil - I'm going to try and track down WWII-era photo of a Washington State Guard uniform and see if it's a match!

Beau

I wonder if it's for Marymount Military Academy, which was in Tacoma?

This was a Catholic-owned military school and somehow the red lining fits that. This coat probably had multiple owners over the years including Mr Burton:

rlb.jpg

• 3 months later...
This was a Catholic-owned military school and somehow the red lining fits that. This coat probably had multiple owners over the years including Mr Burton:

post-214-1324942763.jpg

That's probably the guy. And, considering his age, the Catholic military school does seem like a good fit. Thanks for solving the mystery!