Desert Storm CVC lid

1canpara

Hi guys, a few months ago I strayed a bit from M-1's and bought a few tanker lids....so far a Wilson and a Rawlings M-1938 models, but it got me interested in watching for armoured crew helmets....so, here's the latest one....a mint condition, in the original box, unopened, plastic wrapped 1985 CVC helmet with all the wiring harnesses! Pretty cool!

A unusual eBay find in an obscure listing.....if anyone has more info to share on this era of armoured helmets, I'm all ears....

post-9167-1322104063.jpg

post-9167-1322104079.jpg

post-9167-1322104094.jpg

post-9167-1322104112.jpg

post-9167-1322104133.jpg

The DH series CVC helmets were developed by the Gentex Corporation and replaced the T-56-6 CVC helmet in 1973. The DH-132 had a very thin outer shell which provided minimal bump protection. The DH-132 was in issue from 1973 to 1987 when it was replaced by the DH-132A. The DH-132A was an upgraded version of the DH-132 having a heavier outer shell which supplied fragmentation protection similar to the older T-56-6. The DH-132A was in issue from 1987 through 1995. In 1995 the DH-132B was first issued to Tank Commanders and Tank Drivers who normally had their heads exposed and required greater cranial protection. The DH-132B had a heavy outer shell made of layered Aramid (Kevlar) and was consistent in ballistic protection to the PASGT helmet. The DH-132B was eventually issued to all tank crew members as supplies became available. Beginning in 1996 the DH-132B models were selectively upgraded by the replacement of their communication headsets with a BOSE system with increased noise attenuation properties, these models were called the DH-132 PI CVC the PI CVC standing for Product Improved Combat Vehicle Crewmans helmet. I think that about covers it.

Larry

Heck, I was in a mech unit and we had these in supply and I never saw one in a box even then!

I so deeply regret getting rid of mine, i traded it and now wish I hadn't done that, even though I only wore it four times while TC'ing or driving M1's around my motor pool.

Manchu Warrior

I still have mine, spaghetti cord and all, and this is a photo of it on my fat head while skirting the 38th Parallel in the ROK. We were not allowed on the DMZ with our Bradley's because it was an act of war so we patrolled the perimeter, of course on the South side.

post-1412-1322160764.jpgpost-1412-1322160770.jpg

frederik.geudens
Here's mine. My very first eBay find many years ago. It came in it's unopened box as well.

Oops! Where did my picture go? Moderator?

One of mine, the shell at least from the early 90's. The liner is mine as well, but a more "recent" piece. I had a number of them at that time that I painted up with my airbrush. I was into modeling 1:35 scale armor back then, so they had a slight influence from the German side of things.

a46a51ce.jpg

eaeb867c.jpg

3a45f4ef.jpg

01820dc6.jpg

1a02f6a1.jpg

I was aviation but I wore a CVC when I was working with the 2nd Armored Museum at Fort Hood. Back then most of the vehicles ran and we used some older US and some captured Iraqi vehicles to make a training video for Apache gunners, sort of a 'target recognition through the TADS'. After we got done, I got to keep mine. Unfortunately, the foam inside the earcups is disintegrating so it lives in the attic now.

post-32676-1322228777.jpg

Great souvenirs of your service fellas. Matt...your shell appears to have a smooth glossy finish whereas Hoovie's is textured. Any particular reason why this should be so?

When my brother was in armor, I took a Kevlar cover, cut it down and and sewn it to shape the bump shell. It turned out looking quite well and in the end, I made about eight of them for all the guys in his platoon. I sent a copy into the Army suggestion program, but never heard back on it.

Great souvenirs of your service fellas. Matt...your shell appears to have a smooth glossy finish whereas Hoovie's is textured. Any particular reason why this should be so?

I think mine is an older helmet with a less-than-tactical shiny paint job circa 1979 or so. It was probably surplused to the museum in the 1980s and by the time I got it in 1991, it was pretty rough.

I think mine is an older helmet with a less-than-tactical shiny paint job circa 1979 or so. It was probably surplused to the museum in the 1980s and by the time I got it in 1991, it was pretty rough.

Right on. Mine was pretty new when I received it, so the coating was fresh. I've had plenty of them where the factory finish was worn off, and had layers upon layers of paint applied to them. They were generally painted during every recovery period from the field/gunnery for inspection and "lay out" purposes. Along with most of the ancillary equipment. The good old "POD"... Paint over Dirt method :lol: Looking at mine, you can see where the original finish under my paint has chipped and worn off.

Those are some cool lids Mike and Matt! I'm really glad to have found a mint condition helmet, but I almost prefer the "been there, done that" look! A mint one is nice, but it has no history really. Still, I'm glad to have a nice new one to sit beside my older camo'd one that I posted a couple of months back. :thumbsup:

Rick

Thanks Rick! I have been looking for a photo of me wearing that helmet. I rarely wore it with the outer shell, just the padded liner. Here's me in the TC's cupola of an early M-60 taking directions from the 2AD Museum curator. She was a really cool lady, as evidenced by her HBT coveralls.

post-32676-1322242081.jpg

Manchu Warrior
Those are some cool lids Mike and Matt! I'm really glad to have found a mint condition helmet, but I almost prefer the "been there, done that" look! A mint one is nice, but it has no history really. Still, I'm glad to have a nice new one to sit beside my older camo'd one that I posted a couple of months back. :thumbsup:

Rick

My helmet is not cool? You know some of us have feelings. :unsure::blink: :ermm: :crying:

My helmet is not cool? You know some of us have feelings. :unsure::blink: :ermm: :crying:

Sorry Manchu, my bad :pinch: ....I didn't scroll far enough back to see yours....it's also very cool :thumbsup: ....what's even cooler is the photo of you wearing it!

Rick

Manchu Warrior
Sorry Manchu, my bad :pinch: ....I didn't scroll far enough back to see yours....it's also very cool :thumbsup: ....what's even cooler is the photo of you wearing it!

Rick

Now I don't have to feel sorry for myself. Thanks! :thumbsup:

frederik.geudens
Very nice Frederik, looks very similar to mine for sure!

Rick

Yes, appart from being a size Large it is exactly the same as yours. Actually, the helmet was just the start of my CVC-display (coveralls including liner, nomex tanker jacket, gloves, microclimate cooling vest, M25a1 gas mask, CVC body armour,...)

cvcu_1.jpg

You can check out the rest here