Studley Six Row Ribbon Bar

Steve Brannan

Steve Brannan

I brought this ribbon bar at an Antique Mall in Atlanta and they didn't know anything about the guy. From the ribbons I am guessing he was in the Army Air Force from about 1940-1960. What are the five foreign ribbons at the bottom? Any help would be appreciated. George Studley in New York did a good job making custom ribbon bars.

post-1848-1196631243.jpg

post-1848-1196631270.jpg

...From the ribbons I am guessing he was in the Army Air Force from about 1940-1960. What are the five foreign ribbons at the bottom?

This may help you to identify what those five ribbons are not: I am pretty sure that they were not earned as a result of service in Korea during the Korean War. My only other observation is that five foreign ribbons is a lot for a presumed enlisted man of that vintage (or even an officer below the rank of Brigadier General, for that matter).

You might try posing your question at Orders and Medals Society of America. They have an active identification forum.

Bottom row center is the Belgian World War II Commemorative Medal. I'm not sure about the final one, but George Studley had a knack for selling medals and ribbons to folks to didn't necessarily merit them, so it could be whatever Studley decided they should have.

I'm not sure about the final one, but George Studley had a knack for selling medals and ribbons to folks to didn't necessarily merit them, so it could be whatever Studley decided they should have.

The one with the blue and red stripes is the Croix du Combattant (Combatant's Cross), WWI design.

One thing I notice is the absence of a zip code on his address label. This could mean that the rack was made prior to 1963. Or it could mean that he kept using his old labels until he ran out!

Nice rack by the way! Bottom row on the viewer's left is the Médaille commémorative de la guerre 1939-1945 (French Commemorative Medal of the War, 1939-45)

post-203-1196692615.jpg

"Adopted on 21 May 1946, this somewhat pear-shaped medal was awarded to all military personnel for service in a recognized unit.

The pale blue ribbon with red and green side stripes has a row of red V's (Victoire, Victory) running down the centre. A number of bars were created for this medal : "FRANCE", "NORVEGE", "ITALIE" (see also Medal for Italy 1943-44), "LIBERATION", "ALLEMAGNE", "GRANDE BRETAGNE", "U.R.S.S." for European land or air campaigns, "AFRIQUE" and "EXTREME ORIENT" for non-European theatres of war, "ATLANTIQUE", "MEDITERANNEE", "MANCHE" and "MER DU NORD" to commemorate maritime operations and also "DEFENSE PASSIVE" and "ENGAGE VOLONTAIRE". From 8 November 1952 on, a bar with a red enamelled star could be worn if the recipient had received a war wound (also see below).

A number of unofficial, dated bars have also been manufactured."

The 104th Division website shows this as an award that US troops were entitled to. See http://www.104infdiv.org/timberwo.htm

I brought this ribbon bar at an Antique Mall in Atlanta and they didn't know anything about the guy. From the ribbons I am guessing he was in the Army Air Force from about 1940-1960. What are the five foreign ribbons at the bottom? Any help would be appreciated. George Studley in New York did a good job making custom ribbon bars.

post-1848-1196631243.jpg

post-1848-1196631270.jpg

The last one is one of the three classes of The Partisan Star - Yugoslavia. I believe it is the second class version, but am not sure off the top of my head.

Steve Brannan

Thanks guys for the help in identifing these ribbons. There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum. I am thinking that this is the same Studley who made the high quality medal reproductions on the 1950s. Anyone know when he went out of business?