4th Inf. Div. LRRP pocket patch

Mike Force

The patch comes along with this 4th inv div shirt made by trooper.

All the aother patches are VN made for sure and they looks sawed on it sice a long time exept the CIB and the wings!

The silky 12th Inv. Reg. pocket patch dosen't realy look VN made it's more japanese made in my opinoin?

But in fact that the CIB and the para wings looks like just added yesterday gave me also some doubt on the LRRP patch?

post-4070-1322096899.jpg

Wow! What a mystery item you have.

The rank and 4th ID patch do look like they have been on the shirt for some time, as evidenced by the impressions on the inside of the shirt.

The stitching on the CIB and Airborne wings definitely do not match the stitching for the other patches.

One could argue that they were added at a later date. That might make sense for the CIB, but not for the jump wings. The Airborne qualification should have been earned Stateside and should have predated the CIB. Unless there was a Airborne qualification training taking place in Vietnam...

If the soldier had previously been wearing metal jump wings, you should be able to see pin holes in the shirt.

So you have some red flags here... not sure what to make of this without looking at it in person.

The 12th looks more German made.

The pocket patch could very well be German made, in the 50s the 4th division was stationed in Germany, I have seen german made pocket patches for the 22nd Infantry on shirts from the early 60s long after the Division had left, it very possiable that stocks of these patches went along with the supply shops when the division left in 1956, the same in the 1st Inf Division, they where in Germany too leaving in December 1955, it later had elements there in the early 60s, here you could see german BEVO unit pocket patches worn throughout the 60s including South Vietnam. So these german pocket patches must have been floatig around for years within these Divisions and could crop up on shirts and flield jackets during the rest of the 50s well into the 60s.

Wow! What a mystery item you have.

The rank and 4th ID patch do look like they have been on the shirt for some time, as evidenced by the impressions on the inside of the shirt.

The stitching on the CIB and Airborne wings definitely do not match the stitching for the other patches.

One could argue that they were added at a later date. That might make sense for the CIB, but not for the jump wings. The Airborne qualification should have been earned Stateside and should have predated the CIB. Unless there was a Airborne qualification training taking place in Vietnam...

If the soldier had previously been wearing metal jump wings, you should be able to see pin holes in the shirt.

So you have some red flags here... not sure what to make of this without looking at it in person.

Yes it's a kind of interesting piece!

The SSI, US Army and Name tape are all sewed on with the same thread.

The Sp.4 are also on this shirt since a long time but it's stitched with a different thread what make sense sice the soldier was upgraded from a Private to a Sp.4.

Both pocket patches are hand sewn to the shirt and make the pockets usable

The only thing I'm concerned about it is the CIB, wings and the LRRP patch?

About the LRRP patch I'am not sure yet if it's a repro!? It could be a good one in my opinion but it's realy hard to say without another of this kind of hand made patch to compare!?

There also no pin holes or signs from wearing a metal jump wing before!

So what do you think guys?

Is it better to take the CIB and the jump wings back off or sould I leave it like it is?

I'd leave it like it is until you learn more. If it turns out to be legit, you'll be kicking your self for a month of Sundays that you messed with it.

Get hold of Andrei or some of our other name era name researchers and see if they can match up a likely ID for this shirt before you do anything. I don't have their databases, but it is amazing what they turn up.

What's the name ? I can't read it.

This shirt looks good to me, no probs. But the pocket patches have been added later for sure. The 12th IR is genuine but the LRRP patch is highly questionable. Perhaps the vet put them on after his service for reunion purposes ?

Thanks a lot Guys for all the comments you gave on it!

I guess I will leave it like it is...

Andrei: The name on the shirt is "Handley"

Unfortunately I couldn't find any match on this web page?

Is there any chance to check the name somwhere else?

Thanks a lot for your effort Andrei!

:w00t: The 5th SFGA operated a jump school at Dong Ba Thin, RVN! Two of my LRRP Company members and I graduated from it in 1968.

Mike Soetaert

post-3074-1322522359.jpg