Hawley fiber liner reproduction(s)

airborneboy506

could someone please tell me how to get one of these liners like where would i be able to find them or contact rob lihani

could someone please tell me how to get one of these liners like where would i be able to find them or contact rob lihani

Johnny_Costino produces and sells them himself. Contact him or check his ebay to see if he has one for sale.

airborneboy506
Johnny_Costino produces and sells them himself. Contact him or check his ebay to see if he has one for sale.

thank you but how would i find him like where on ebay can i find one of his hawley liners and if it makes it easy just give me a link

Member_2114
thank you but how would i find him like where on ebay can i find one of his hawley liners and if it makes it easy just give me a link

Probably best to email me! paulcostin "at" googlemail.com

I havent got any on Ebay at the moment. But I am in the process of making some more.

• 1 month later...

Latest version- the “MK 5”!!

The OD cloth has been faded to match the colour of the original, matt OD rivets, which together with washers have been slightly aged. I’ve also aged the Rayon webbing.

2101857400080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

2505566170080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

2896781190080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

2072915550080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

2706790710080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

2523671920080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

2808884980080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

2244360450080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

2273514030080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gang,

I received my Hawley Liner from Paul two days ago. Here it is nestled all snug in my front seam swivel bail I have set up for a 3rd Army Patton's HQ MP Impression. As you can see, Paul's preproduction Hawley fits snug and installs with no problem. I have high pressure liners that don't fit this well... I can't say enough about the workmanship and fit of these liners... it's truly amazing.

Wayne

post-3743-1347427553.jpg

post-3743-1347427570.jpg

Hi Gang,

I received my Hawley Liner from Paul two days ago. Here it is nestled all snug in my front seam swivel bail I have set up for a 3rd Army Patton's HQ MP Impression. As you can see, Paul's preproduction Hawley fits snug and installs with no problem. I have high pressure liners that don't fit this well... I can't say enough about the workmanship and fit of these liners... it's truly amazing.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne- appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

Making up my last batch of 5 this week, after that it will be a bit quiet on the Hawley front, as I'll be reverting to my crate repros and the usual winter projects...D Rations, mail call stuff...etc

Are your Airborne liners fitted with the correct sized A-frame webbing straps to allow them to take a genuine WW2 leather chincup?

Reason I ask is I may be making up another batch of the chincups & it'd be good to know of decent repro liners that mine would fit in as I based my chincups on genuine WW2 ones (& had one returned a while back as the repro the buyer tried to fit it into was not made to correct WW2 dimensions)

Are your Airborne liners fitted with the correct sized A-frame webbing straps to allow them to take a genuine WW2 leather chincup?

Reason I ask is I may be making up another batch of the chincups & it'd be good to know of decent repro liners that mine would fit in as I based my chincups on genuine WW2 ones (& had one returned a while back as the repro the buyer tried to fit it into was not made to correct WW2 dimensions)

Normally get my A Frames from two suppliers- Josh Murray or Valery Gautier at Normandy Accessories. Never had any complainst, so far.

• 3 weeks later...
American Patrol Co.

just started this forum and found this. I am amazed at the detail of your work. Please keep this up!

Peace

• 2 weeks later...

just started this forum and found this. I am amazed at the detail of your work. Please keep this up!

Peace

Thanks very much!

Developing the idea of a beat up liner I had a play around with an old liner and faded cloth..Once I created the rolled edge profile I then layered on some paper whhich would be revealed once the covering cloth had been cut about a bit...

beatup004.jpg

beatup003.jpg

beatup002.jpg

beatup001.jpg

BeatUpHawley029.jpg

beatup005.jpg

beatup006.jpg

If you want to truely make your aging look authentic:

dip your leather chinstraps into dark wood stain

edge wear is not contained to cloth. The greasy cardboard underneath freys very easily.

Rayon does not discolor easily. If it does, it discolors evenly. The washers rusting can created a surrounding rust colored area.

Cracks. Cracks are the bane or hawleys. cracks around the edges, mostly on the back and sides. the front is pretty strong. some paint loss by cracks is common.

There you have it. Now go and age some hawleys....

If you want to truely make your aging look authentic:

dip your leather chinstraps into dark wood stain

edge wear is not contained to cloth. The greasy cardboard underneath freys very easily.

Rayon does not discolor easily. If it does, it discolors evenly. The washers rusting can created a surrounding rust colored area.

Cracks. Cracks are the bane or hawleys. cracks around the edges, mostly on the back and sides. the front is pretty strong. some paint loss by cracks is common.

There you have it. Now go and age some hawleys....

Thanks. Probably a topic for debate in its own right. Whenever I make my repro crates I dont tend to stain them, juts leave them to darken and age naturally with the weather/elements. With the Original Hawleys I'm guessing that with them not being fit for purpose they may have got "beat-up" quicker?

Hi,

have you considered adding a particularity to spot your liners immediately ?

I mean, now it is fine but on ebay and you sell these as repro but as we have seen for easy-green, when you can't have the stuff on hand, you could easily be fooled.

Max

Not to tarnish paul's amazing work here, but it is fairly easy to spot a reproduction hawley.

Yes Paul, they got trashed very quickly, cardboard and water do not go together well. the rim went first, then the liner would just crack and the webbing would tear through. But Rayon webbing is much stronger after 70 years than HBT. just food for thought here...

Hi,

have you considered adding a particularity to spot your liners immediately ?

I mean, now it is fine but on ebay and you sell these as repro but as we have seen for easy-green, when you can't have the stuff on hand, you could easily be fooled.

Max

I have- mine are marked "Costino Enterprises" with my own QM mark. Some of my repro crates, have stamping with discrete spelling mistakes. My repro D Rations are also labelled Costino Food Enterprises, but I'm hoping people can tell the difference between chocolate moulded in 2012 and chocolate moulded in 1942!!