Hawley fiber liner reproduction(s)

All I can say is WOW :thumbsup: Without letting out any trade secrets, can you give a general idea how you do this? I am favorably impressed.

Well basically the rolled edge is made of paper, instead of plastic tubing, combined with a bit of patience when using impact adhesive on the fabric. (thats the summarised version!)

How do you mould the rest of it? Do you use a steel pot to get the shape?

No its a standard wartime, Korean or "suitable" later liner. I dont use the green Vietnam type liners. Obviously there is a lot of prepping. The other posts on the forum showing how others make their repros are a fair illustration of the work involved in mine

Airborne versions too!? :w00t:

Yep- nickel baby dot studs, etc. Waiting for two more sets of A frames to put in some other liners..

Congratulations...a superb job! If you can mass-produce and stockpile these ahead of next year's "War & Peace" I confidently predict you could make a killing!!

Pat_from_Brix

Dear Santa Claus..... ;)

Excellent job Sarge !! Looking forward to see them in action when I'll be back in the UK !!

Cheers

Pat

Pat_from_Brix

Dear Santa Claus..... ;)

Excellent job Sarge !! Looking forward to see them in action when I'll be back in the UK !!

Cheers

Pat

Looks very impressive looking Paul...factory fresh! Now...have you considered producing M2 shells to accompany your airborne "Hawleys"?! :lol:

As a matter of interest, how easy...or not...was it to source a suitable grade of "stockinette" fabric to stretch over the liner? Did you have to dye it the correct shade of OD yourself?

Ian

Looks very impressive looking Paul...factory fresh! Now...have you considered producing M2 shells to accompany your airborne "Hawleys"?! :lol:

As a matter of interest, how easy...or not...was it to source a suitable grade of "stockinette" fabric to stretch over the liner? Did you have to dye it the correct shade of OD yourself?

Ian

The material was relatively easy to get hold of, its OD shade, as close as I can get without without using a dye. The fabric has to be on that stretches in every direction, due to the shape of the liner.

I'm not good with metal- one of the guys in our group is, and he's the man for making M2 shells- he also makes Hawley repros. We are quite fortunate that GI44-45 has creative skill in a number of areas.

I'm thinking of taking some of these to stoneleigh, although I'm not sure of the interest.

The material was relatively easy to get hold of, its OD shade, as close as I can get without without using a dye. The fabric has to be on that stretches in every direction, due to the shape of the liner.

I'm not good with metal- one of the guys in our group is, and he's the man for making M2 shells- he also makes Hawley repros. We are quite fortunate that GI44-45 has creative skill in a number of areas.

I'm thinking of taking some of these to stoneleigh, although I'm not sure of the interest.

Stoneleigh would probably be a good sounding board for Beltring? If someone was kitted out as a GI with one of your Hawley's on, it would be a tremendous promotional ad which would be sure to catch the punters' attention...IMHO!

Stoneleigh would probably be a good sounding board for Beltring? If someone was kitted out as a GI with one of your Hawley's on, it would be a tremendous promotional ad which would be sure to catch the punters' attention...IMHO!

Well my "hawley" is snug as bug in a rug, inside a Fixed bail ready for a venture into the Ardennes as 2nd infantry in two weeks time. I reckon that'll give it a chance to see how it stands up.

Just to give some clarity on price, this is what I am aiming at, as a result of enquiries from interested parties-

I reckon I can reduce the ebay winning bid price(s) which gave me a ball park figure, which was initially hard to do. For US Militaria forum members I can sell at a price of £150 for the infantry version, plus £15 postage "signed for" to the US. I have sold two complete shells and one minus webbing so far. Feedback has been positive.

At current exchange rate £150 equates to $234 (plus postage)

Now sold four of these but been looking at the numbers and have had a re-think on price to forum members. I want to make them and sell at price that forum members can reasonably be afforded. Its hard to judge as not many people make these, but as this thread has had 1000 or so hits, it seems the interest is there.

So- for those who have enquired-

Infantry liner Hawleys will be £130 (thats $204 at current exchange rate) and Airborne £150 (thats $235 at current exchange rate) these are complete, webbed and ready to go. I may have some that were slightly cracked shells that are just as good, that I may be able to negotiate a small discount on.

If you supply a liner and want me to cover and do all the preparation but NOT the webbing I can do that for £90 ($141 at current exchange rate).

Its virtually impossibe to offer any further discount on these, as the work alone makes it not viable.

• 1 month later...
Now sold four of these but been looking at the numbers and have had a re-think on price to forum members. I want to make them and sell at price that forum members can reasonably be afforded. Its hard to judge as not many people make these, but as this thread has had 1000 or so hits, it seems the interest is there.

So- for those who have enquired-

Infantry liner Hawleys will be £130 (thats $204 at current exchange rate) and Airborne £150 (thats $235 at current exchange rate) these are complete, webbed and ready to go. I may have some that were slightly cracked shells that are just as good, that I may be able to negotiate a small discount on.

If you supply a liner and want me to cover and do all the preparation but NOT the webbing I can do that for £90 ($141 at current exchange rate).

Its virtually impossibe to offer any further discount on these, as the work alone makes it not viable.

Johnny, your mailbox is full. Toss me a PM when you get a chance about the F2F sale.

Raygoon Gasbar

I am dying for one of these for my 165th Infantry Regiment, 27th Divison Impression....your last post on these was in Novemeber, are you still doing them?

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

He's still making them; I have two enroute as we speak!

An airborne Hawley for my Fixed bail 509th PIR Helmet and a standard one for whatever.

Rock

Thanks Rock!

Yes I am still making them and have improved the process etc. Plus my message box has had the content deleted to free up some space, please feel free to PM!

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

Got my Costino Hawley's today!

Kid in candy shop, I am.

I mated the airborne liner with my 509th fixed bail (repro using original WWII paints). I also got the standard liner which will be mated to a standard helmet once I get it back from the restorer. Once I get clear on funds I'll be purchasing two rayon bands from Normandy Accessories.

100_7646.jpg

100_7653.jpg

100_7651.jpg

100_7652.jpg

100_7650.jpg

Compared to regular mid-late war liner

100_7657.jpg

100_7656.jpg

[imghttp://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/SgtRock_02/100_7658.jpg[/img]

100_7659.jpg

I'm pleased as punch and highly recommend Pauls products. They are sturdy, beautifully done and fit like a glove.

Rock

Thanks very much for taking the time to post feedback; I guess there is always going to be trepidation in some that mine might not match with, or compare to other repro Hawleys out there. Hopefully folks will see that I aim to do my best in providing a quality reproduction Hawley at a fair price.

Raygoon Gasbar

I have a good friend who has made a few, I am going to attempt to do one myself with his guidance, just for my own personal use. I will post pictures of it when I get it done, and you guys can tell me how bad it looks next to Johnny's LOL.