Hawley fiber liner reproduction(s)

Moderators, please relocate to another section if you feel this is not suitable under reenactors section.

For your consideration. I’ve started making Hawley repros. It’s a work in progress, I currently have 10 made; 8 of which are waiting for webbing.

I recently sold two on ebad ; one for £165 which received good feedback , “VERY nice item packed very well and shipped fast!” I also sold and another for £160 for which I am still waiting feedback. The idea behind this project was to make some for my group as we are interested in doing MTO impressions. The ebay sales at least helped make up for money lost when sourcing viable materials for the project.

Mine –compared to an original Hawley Civil Defense liner- edges can be worn away to reveal paper underneath

2737911290080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

2171601860080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

2845405230080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

“G” for General Fiber…

2452724080080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

2655478520080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

2635985280080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

2933324060080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

2644178630080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

2917471290080671336S600x600Q85.jpg

A very laudable effort...well done! Although they obviously look too "new" to fool real aficionados, might you not consider marking them in some unambiguous way for the benefit of those who aren't?

So, how much are you going to be offering these for?

Well I was hoping to get some feedback on this forum etc before I start entertaining sales. Which is really why I posted up, in the first instance. I've discussed suggested prices amongst some in my own group.

My long term plan was to sell for slightly less than the ebad prices above, as I figure ebad tends to "set" unrealistic prices.

My aim is to make something that "works", looks the part and lasts. In December I'll be particpating in a 2nd Infantry Trip in the Ardennes so hopefully there will be some forum members participating who can see the liners in the flesh so to speak, and give me some honest feedback on what to change or improve upon.

If you want to enquire about price then PM, if thats all in order. I am hoping to visit the US in January/February, and I'll happy to bring over some liners then to save on postage costs. The one I shipped out to San Antonio cost me £15 to send over.

A very laudable effort...well done! Although they obviously look too "new" to fool real aficionados, might you not consider marking them in some unambiguous way for the benefit of those who aren't?

Funnily enough I have made a beat up version, not as beat up as I would like. But I do plan to make them as I think they look better.

Funnily enough I have made a beat up version, not as beat up as I would like. But I do plan to make them as I think they look better.

Even more reason to mark them! ;)

I think this is a noble effort and congratulate you. I wish I had the creativity to do something like it. My comments (and please take with a grain of salt since I have not yet held an original Hawley in my hands): I would pay around $100 if I was in the market for one; I think the critical point is how they peek from underneath the rim of the shell and not having too much of the repros show; YES do mark as repros for the future collectors.

Well done!

Fielding

I think this is a noble effort and congratulate you. I wish I had the creativity to do something like it. My comments (and please take with a grain of salt since I have not yet held an original Hawley in my hands): I would pay around $100 if I was in the market for one; I think the critical point is how they peek from underneath the rim of the shell and not having too much of the repros show; YES do mark as repros for the future collectors.

Well done!

Fielding

Thanks! The Nape strap and webbing assembly are marked with my own maker mark and QM and W contact no.

Obviously on price I have to factor in sourcing the right shells, which generally I am buying from the US, so far anything up to $45, then I add postage. Likewise with the webbing and chin strap which I am buying from overseas these are on par with the price of a liner and I also have to pay postage. The other factors are then prepping the liner, adding the rolled paper edge, which I also have to assemble before it goes on the liner. I guess half the cost is in materials and half is in labour. As you can proabbly imagine $100 would not cover these costs.

My wife always gives me grief for underselling/valuing my work. A good example; D Rations I sell these at £3.50 a bar; sealed and good to go, she reckons if I set up a stall in St mere Eglise over D-Day commerations I could make double that. But as with all these things its supply and demand.

My own group are lucky in that myself and another member have discovered a way to make repro Hawleys, and my original plan was just to make them for my group at cost and maybe a pint of beer!

That's a very good initiative. And the liner looks quite good. If I am not mistaken your are only the second who decided to manufacture the repros of paper liners. The first was Jerry Lee of WPG -- he did it a few years ago. Could anybody compare quality of Jerry's repros and these new ones?

That's a very good initiative. And the liner looks quite good. If I am not mistaken your are only the second who decided to manufacture the repros of paper liners. The first was Jerry Lee of WPG -- he did it a few years ago. Could anybody compare quality of Jerry's repros and these new ones?

Well I hope to help one of my benefactors in the 90th Tough Ombres group by returning a liner that has been converted. If I can count on any group/person to give it honest and fair critique it'll be them!

Thanks! The Nape strap and webbing assembly are marked with my own maker mark and QM and W contact no.

Obviously on price I have to factor in sourcing the right shells, which generally I am buying from the US, so far anything up to $45, then I add postage. Likewise with the webbing and chin strap which I am buying from overseas these are on par with the price of a liner and I also have to pay postage. The other factors are then prepping the liner, adding the rolled paper edge, which I also have to assemble before it goes on the liner. I guess half the cost is in materials and half is in labour. As you can proabbly imagine $100 would not cover these costs.

My wife always gives me grief for underselling/valuing my work. A good example; D Rations I sell these at £3.50 a bar; sealed and good to go, she reckons if I set up a stall in St mere Eglise over D-Day commerations I could make double that. But as with all these things its supply and demand.

My own group are lucky in that myself and another member have discovered a way to make repro Hawleys, and my original plan was just to make them for my group at cost and maybe a pint of beer!

Just to clarify, the $100 was with my consultant discount :wink2: No I suppose that wouldn't cover it.

I think Rob Lihani was asking a little over $200 for his infantry liners, but I'm not sure if he's making them anymore.

I think Rob Lihani was asking a little over $200 for his infantry liners, but I'm not sure if he's making them anymore.

From the research I've done, I think you are right. He focus' on various projects, like myself; I do D Rations and Crates. My repro Hawley project stemmed from obtaining the white civil defense liner, and the belief, "I can do that"!

Just to give some clarity on price, this is what I am aiming at, as a result of enquiries from interested parties-

I reckon I can reduce the ebay winning bid price(s) which gave me a ball park figure, which was initially hard to do. For US Militaria forum members I can sell at a price of £150 for the infantry version, plus £15 postage "signed for" to the US. I have sold two complete shells and one minus webbing so far. Feedback has been positive.

At current exchange rate £150 equates to $234 (plus postage)

That is incorrect. Rob Lihani was making these for a while as well (and still might be making them, but I’m not sure), using what sounds like that same method of construction. There’s a link here that talks about them, Just click here to see more. I’ve seen these liners in person and they were very impressive.

The pictures I have seen of Robs indicate he uses plastic tubing for the rolled edge, I dont use that. On mine its a special paper.

Great work and very nice indeed but wait until the helmet forgers get to these. With their skills, they are able to cover up or deface any printing on webbing and age them to fake out unsuspecting buyers. Wonder what easy green and others will do with these? :emba0005:

All I can say is WOW :thumbsup: Without letting out any trade secrets, can you give a general idea how you do this? I am favorably impressed.

All I can say is WOW :thumbsup: Without letting out any trade secrets, can you give a general idea how you do this? I am favorably impressed.

:thumbsup: