Question

Tom Pearcy

I just picked-up an Airborne Command (one piece)patch with a red and white AIRBORNE tab. What's the deal? are they a good score? Also, it does not glow under UV.

Tom

Its a varaiation and original.

I had read that the 555th in WW2 tended to wear the red and white tab.Dont know if it was official or just a unit practice.Also will see the tabs worn by Airborne engineer units often over the standard air corps patch.

RD

Tom

Its a varaiation and original.

I had read that the 555th in WW2 tended to wear the red and white tab.Dont know if it was official or just a unit practice.Also will see the tabs worn by Airborne engineer units often over the standard air corps patch.

RD

I believe that the ID of the Airborne Command SSI with the red tab as being worn by the 555th "Triple Nickel" PIB during WWII was due to an error in Guido Rosignoli's "Army Badges and Insignia in World War II." I have spoken to a number of WWII and immediate post war members of the unit, and have never had one recall the red and white airborne tab over their SSI. The photos that i have seen from the time period also do not support this patch as having been used by the 555th.

I believe this patch to simply be a variation of the Airborne Command SSI. There were a number of REALLY GOOD fakes that came out in the late 80's early 90's, but don't know who made them.

Allan

Thank you everyone for your input. If anyone is interested in seeing mine, I will post a pic ASAP. As of this time, there is one being offered on ebay with a few days remaining. I can not believe what it has climbed to.

I have seen one previously that ran up pretty high as well. It must have to do with it's alleged connection to the 555th. Until this post I didn't know that was incorrect info.

Chris

The patch in question is 99.9% a repro.In thirty two years of selling rare insignia I have never seen a real one.The patches were put together in the late 80s early 90s and turned up at shows on the east coast.When they first came out I bought six of them then sold two before Carl Robin and I found out they were fake.The thread used burns like cotton but has something else added to it thats not right.The same guys that did these did the US Army Language School fakes.I learned about them the same way I bought two of those when they came out then found out they were no good.I call those type of buys my PHD in stupid but thats how we learn whats real and whats not. Scotty

The patch in question is 99.9% a repro.In thirty two years of selling rare insignia I have never seen a real one.The patches were put together in the late 80s early 90s and turned up at shows on the east coast.When they first came out I bought six of them then sold two before Carl Robin and I found out they were fake.The thread used burns like cotton but has something else added to it thats not right.The same guys that did these did the US Army Language School fakes.I learned about them the same way I bought two of those when they came out then found out they were no good.I call those type of buys my PHD in stupid but thats how we learn whats real and whats not. Scotty

Now, I would love to see a real US Army Language School patch. Hell, add in a real 55th Command patch. Of these patches, nobody seems to know what is real!

-Ski

It is also listed in Stein's book as for the 555th.

Chris

I believe that the ID of the Airborne Command SSI with the red tab as being worn by the 555th "Triple Nickel" PIB during WWII was due to an error in Guido Rosignoli's "Army Badges and Insignia in World War II." I have spoken to a number of WWII and immediate post war members of the unit, and have never had one recall the red and white airborne tab over their SSI. The photos that i have seen from the time period also do not support this patch as having been used by the 555th.

I believe this patch to simply be a variation of the Airborne Command SSI. There were a number of REALLY GOOD fakes that came out in the late 80's early 90's, but don't know who made them.

Allan

There was one of these on eBay within the past couple days, and the bidding was up to $452, with time to spare. Maybe someone here can find it?

Amended: Just saw the above link! :D

There was one of these on eBay within the past couple days, and the bidding was up to $452, with time to spare. Maybe someone here can find it?

Amended: Just saw the above link! :D

I already posted the link.