GAR Veteran Grouping

SARGE

Gents,

I picked up a very nice Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) Civil War Veteran grouping at a militaria show today that I thought I would show. The items belonged to a Union Veteran of the 116th Ohio Infantry and include photographs from the 1911 Lawrence, Kansas GAR Reunion as well as his badge and various other related items.

GAR_Eddy_grouping.JPG

There is an identified period photograph of the veteran in a period frame along with his unit identification.

GAR_Eddy_pix.JPG

There is also a group photograph of the 1911 GAR Reunion along with a book that actually has this particular photograph in it. The old vet appears in the group photo from 100 years ago this past May.

The GAR Reunion badge is silver color and was made by Whitehead & Hoag Co. I have another version of this badge that is laquered bronze that has a ribbon behind the drop but the ribbon from this one seems to be missing although there is a pin for it on the reverse. I do not know why the badges were issued in two different colors. Perhaps the silver one was for veterans or for some other reason?

GAR_Eddy_badge.JPG

Interestingly, the group photograph is mounted on a stiff cardboard backing that also has a ghost photograph of Governer Stubbs of Kansas who served in 1911 when the reunion took place. Our veteran is seated in the second row of the group picture on the front.

GAR_Eddy_pix_back.JPG

A nice period Union Veteran grouping that has stayed together for 100 years.

carbinephalen

Interesting find! I traveled to Lawrence several months ago and was amazed by all of the Civil War history in that town. If anybody on here lives remotely close to the town they DEFINITELY should take the driving tour around town to follow the steps of the famous Lawrence Massacre (also known as Quantrill's Raid) Cool stuff :thumbsup:

Interesting find! I traveled to Lawrence several months ago and was amazed by all of the Civil War history in that town. If anybody on here lives remotely close to the town they DEFINITELY should take the driving tour around town to follow the steps of the famous Lawrence Massacre (also known as Quantrill's Raid) Cool stuff :thumbsup:

Thanks Gentlemen!

This fellow was a member of GAR Washington Post #12 in Lawrence. There was another GAR Samuel Walker Post #365 in Lawrence for Colored Troop Veterans. This particular veteran, and Post #12, participated in setting up the Citizens Monument to victims of the Quantrill Raid on May 30, 1895 as well as participating in the 50 year rememberance of that destruction of the town in 1913.

There is a lot of Civil War history in Lawrence and quite a few Civil War Veteran monuments in all the cemeteries. The large Citizens Monument to the victims of the raid is located in Oak Hill Cemetery. Below is the bronze example of the 1911 Lawrence GAR Reunion badge showing the ribbon.

GAR_Law_badge.JPG

A view of the back showing the W&H label on the ribbon.

GAR_Law_badge_label.JPG