AAf CBI Pilot, Thai Royal Airforce

pfschgo

This is an interesting group I had a few years ago. USAAF Senior Pilot, started his AF career as an Instructor , went on to Thailand as a high time multi engine pilot, to fly high officials of the Thai and CBI in Theater. Comments welcome.

Paul

post-1866-1196558987.jpg

post-1866-1196559018.jpg

CNY Militaria

This seems like one of those "pinnacle" items that once you have it, collecting really becomes worth it and you can obtain nothing better! Thanks for showing!!!

Justin

I am afraid I don't understand how this can be. Thailand was one of the few countries in Asia that was never colonized and was always having trouble with the French in Indochina so when they got the chance they sided with Japan. Thailand actually declared war on the United States, the paper work was never delivered to Washington but they supported and were equipped by Japan during the war.

Perhaps he was a pilot with the Free Thai Resistance. They were rather active during the war.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seri_Thai

This is an impressive set of memorabilia and I am glad to see it. I assume that some here ( as I do) question the authenticity of the Thai Air Force wings as worn on these uniforms, presumably based on the certificate of the "Honorary Membership Thai Royal Air Force" pictured in post #12 (and perhaps pfschgo will post an image of the entire document for us to see).

I wouldn't have posted just to ask for this amplification. Then I saw the Wikipedia article cited above. I use Wikipedia. It is a useful place to quickly check basic factual information, such as "What day was the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor?" Beyond the level of basic facts, however, it's let the reader beware, check the references, and verify anything important. This not a slam on Wikipedia. They are not trying to fool anyone. Open the "discussion" tab at the top of the article on Free Thai Movement and you will see that this entry is rated "Start-class" on the Wikipedia quality scale, which means that it in the second from lowest quality class (5th out of six). Wikipedia has high standards: Less than 10-percent of all articles on Wikipedia have made it above "Start-class." This just means that a careful Wikipedia user will take a look at an article's rating before reading the article and give the rating its due weight. I've done that and this article doesn't persuade me relative to the Thai connection of this topic.

Paul,

Beyond words. pinch.gif

I do not know how you do it or your connections but you get the most fantastic items and groups. That is by far the most outstanding Grouping I have ever seen. From my favorite theater of ops too. CBI.

Fantastic.

go cubs,

pmshindy

Thanks, pm and bv.

One problem with most of these groups is that they usually are avaiable, sadly, after the owners passing. Most times the relatives have only a glancing idea of what the sergvise might have been. Many times I wished to ask questions of the owners.

I don't know Thai history at all well... when collaboration with the allies began, whether there was a govt. in excile.....time to brush up!

Thanks, guys.

Paul

As Ricardo pointed out, the ribbon rack (Australian made?) has the Burma Star, which is a British award. This is the second time I've seen a similar foreign-made US CBI ribbon rack like that, with the Burma Star on it. I'm starting to think that the pilots didn't realize that that was a UK award.

As to the involvement with the Thais, I wonder if the date on that paperwork regarding their air force, is after they capitulated.