M-1938 wire cutters; a study

robinb

http://www.blunderbuss-antiques.co.uk/view...9783&phqu=3

These are described as being "post-war European issue"...but in a US pouch.

Ian, the seller is right, the pouch is US made but the wire cutters are made in Denmark, lots of them are available each year in Beltring and Ciney.

I will also try to post later some pictures of three other types of british made wire cutters pouch, I don't have pictures available right now.

Laurent M.

Craig's post confirms that the M1938s were very good and general-purpose tool with compact, or even miniature, construction where cutting torque was computed very well. They were ideal for conventional infantry and, for instance, for airborne pathfinders or all the other special forces for attacks and silent sabotage.

I can vouch for the fact that these are first-rate tools; I can cut 5/32" welding rod with these.

I do have a 1944 set: HKP-made 1944 cutters and a pouch made by the Shell Lea. GDS. Co., Inc. 1944.

What was not discussed so far here is handles stamping. They were stamped "30 KV" -- I guess it means 30 kilovolts abbreviated today "kV". My specimen is additionally stamped on handles "CHR CO".

I am not lonely with these cutters stamped as above mentioned on their handles. Noted Polish reenactor of the US WWII Rangers and simultaneously USMF forumer, Luke "POLAND1st2FIGHT", has the same HKP made 1944 dated cutters stamped as it was shown in my earlier post.

Take a look guys at your M1938s and what is stamped there on the handles.

Thanks for your confirmation that we do not have anything odd in the M1938 cutters history.

Regards

Greg

Apart from mine dont have that 'beak' type lip like on all the others shown...

The info stamped on the handles is not unique to the 1944 HKP cutters.

My 1945 dated pair of W.S. CO. cutters also has the 30 KV CHR stampings on the handles.

Hello Robin, nice collection of wire cutters.

Here is what I have in my collection as well as some closer shots of "unusual" models.

post-8590-1323338096.jpg

Laurent,

Thanks a lot for your posts. :thumbsup:

And Gregory, my two HKP 1944 wire cutters are also marked 30KV CHR CO on the handles, but I don't know why or when?

These are good questions for our American friends. It looks like the CHR CO was a subcontractor delivering handles for M1938 cutters, but maybe I am wrong...?

Regards

Gregory

My camera is an 11 year old Sony Mavica. Uses floppy discs. It may be a big and bulky camera, but it's never let me down.

robin, Thanks for showing all the interesting variations! Something else to look for!

I also share your enthusiasm for the Sony Mavica "dinosaur". I still use one as well as it takes extremely close closeups of detail without distortion.

I dropped my camera on a hard floor last night but it still works!

Kim

• 10 months later...

Picked these up today at an estate sale. Nothing unusual, except there are remnants of black paint on the metal parts. Handles are stamped 30 KV CHR CO. Too well used to have any packaging preservative remaining, so was this a "Bubba" job to prevent rusting or did some of these come with black paint on the metal? Any info is much appreciated. Thanks, Al.

post-12790-0-86549300-1350080994.jpg

Darn near forgot about this topic... :mellow:

Gregory: I checked most of my Cutters, and they all have the voltage rating stamped into the grips. :)

Some shots of the '43-dated Marine Corps "bigheads"...

post-3226-0-08490600-1350258278_thumb.jpg