USS Nassau (LHA-4)

VirtualMariner

VirtualMariner

This is one of my all time favorite photos. The Royal Navy took this one as we were coming into Portsmouth, England in March 1992. Each crewmember was given a copy. The Nassau was decommissioned in March 2011, after 32 years of service.

post-62511-1321720944.jpg

VirtualMariner
post-8022-1321721353.png

Yes, that's it. I've been trying to find my patch that looks like that, but fear it's lost. There are some on Ebay for $10 or $12, but I'd rather have my original. Might have to buy one anyway if it doesn't turn up soon.

VirtualMariner
Great pic!

I was on B'Wood for 4 years. Went to her decommissioning in 2005. They put her down shortly after, very sad

Yeah, I tried to make it to Nassau's decommissioning, but couldn't swing it. It was still a sad day for me. She is stripped down, awaiting her fate in Texas now. It's strange how lifeless they look once they're decommissioned and stripped down. It's a great class of ship, though. The Peleliu is the only one left.

I remember when Tarawa was commissioned. Spent 12 years in Gatore, never served on an LHA, but operated with most of them both East and WEst. My sister did a cruise on the B'Wood as a DET CT.

Steve Hesson

• 2 years later...

Yeah, I tried to make it to Nassau's decommissioning, but couldn't swing it. It was still a sad day for me. She is stripped down, awaiting her fate in Texas now. It's strange how lifeless they look once they're decommissioned and stripped down. It's a great class of ship, though. The Peleliu is the only one left.

I don't want to see my ship, USS PELELIU (LHA-5) put down. Too sad.