WWI photo ODD wings and squadron pin

grimble-nibitz

In case anyone is interested in more pics of the grouping, here's a few more. Two tunics (have an overseas cap, pants for the Paris-made tunic and Sam Browne belt but not pictured):

post-63259-0-54766900-1419475291.jpg

Here's a draft of the unit insignia that was done on the back of an aviation chart.

Other than the things posted here, there are a TON of photos, his log books, training certificates, reunion material, some Imperial German insignia, etc. in the group. Overall a pretty nice set.

post-63259-0-37166800-1419475555.jpg

How could I forget this fantastic grouping!? Amazing... simply amazing.

Any chance I could see some good scans of the airplane photos including in the grouping? My forte is identifying these ships... and I could certainly get you IDs...

Thanks!

-Chuck

Thanks again, guys; glad y'all enjoy the grouping! Below are a few of the pics in the grouping that show the unit marking on his plane and a couple of others I found interesting.

BTW, I'm in the process of selling my collection and this will also be coming on the market very soon (next week, in fact). I've been fortunate to have this a few years now but time to pass it on to someone else to take care of it for a while.

post-63259-0-32675300-1419537743.jpg

Oh my... much more to that grouping (at least photo wise) than I originally thought! Excuse me... may I ask one last favor? I hope I'm not pushing my luck here, but a scan of 638th AS Spad #12 (seen at bottomed center in the overall shot - post #37) would be greatly appreciated. Is it possible to get a quality close-up of this machine? Thanks! I'm already working on identifying Spad XIII #14 from your previous posts. This is such a great opportunity to help more thoroughly document an historic grouping. I thank you for the opportunity ;)

-Chuck

Drew -

Many thanks for the views on #12. If I may push my luck a little further, I'd ask you send/post any other pics of the 638th AS ships because I've got quite a network of colleagues who'd be more than willing to help you identify the aircraft.

For example, this is the information I received already for your scans of the 638th AS Spad #14. The data is courtesy of Alan Toelle:

"De Marcy-built Spad VII 11399 was assigned to the 638thAS on 6 November 1918. The pilot in the photo is evidently John C. Duncan who didn't arrive ntil 18 December. So, the plane mute have belonged to someone else"

- Chuck

Pardon the spelling errors in my caption of Spad VII #14. These were my errors, not Alan's. That's what I get for trying to transcribe on this silly tablet...

I will try to get you answers for the other machines you posted. Thanks again, Drew, for your efforts

-Chuck

More information on your airplane photos:

Spad VII #23 crashed at Ft. Alexander (Coblenz) while on a ferry flight to Colombey-Les-Belles. The pilot, Lt. Perry, was able to walk away.

The Moran Saulnier type 30 (#1714) seen in post #42, was a trainer assigned to the 3rd AIC at Issoudun on/about 10 November 1918.

The Avro 504 (E'4283) seen in post #43 is a little bit of a mystery. It was not on the list of "knowns" provided to the Americans at Issoudun or amongst those shipped to the US after the war.

Lastly, Spad VII #12 'Joe's Ship' also has a little mystery attached to it. It's unknown who "Joe" was, but apparently he was assigned to #12. I'm guessing "Joe" was his nickname...

By the way, is there any logbook or diary in the grouping? These are often a great source for serial #'s to planes.

Regards,

Chuck

Hi Chuck:

Great and very interesting information! Brings things more to life, for sure.

There is a log book in the group but unfortunately it is packed up with many other items I have that I will be shipping off to sell. If I have time, I'll try to get it out and look for any aircraft serial numbers there might be.

Thanks again!

Drew