36th Division War Memorial Park

sgtmonroe

Last weekend I was in Brownwood to visit my wife's father. While there I went out to the "memorial park" (as locals call it, or just "Camp Bowie"). For those that are interested in Second World War training camps, Camp Bowie has a short, but important history. It also served as a POW camp for Germans. There is not much left of the original camp. A single structure still remains (some tell me it was an officer's barracks during the war) which was last used by the 3rd Batt, 112 Armor, TXARNG.

A Google search will turn up lots of information on the camp and its history.

On the grounds of the camp is a "war memorial park" with five foreign artillery pieces and three US armored vehicles. The park is located at the intersection of Crockett Drive and Morris Sheppard Drive. It is unattended.

I photographed the displays as well as the remaining structure. I am posting low-res images of each item. I have hundreds more images (very large in size and resolution). I tried to photograph the equipment from all angles as well as any markings present. If anyone is interested in any particular piece just PM me and I can email you the other images I took.

post-3045-1321616226.jpg

post-3045-1321616258.jpg

The last remaining Second World War-era structure on the grounds of Camp Bowie. I took alot of exterior and interior photographs. The interior has been extensively vandalized by turds.

post-3045-1321617263.jpg

The last, to utilize the building, unit's crest stenciled on the wall of the supply room.

post-3045-1321617267.jpg

Thanks for posting these pics. I grew up in Brownwood until I was about 7 and went back several times to visit family over the years. I remember hearing stories about Camp Bowie and going there every chance I could get when I could talk someone in to taking me. I also remember several wartime buildings that used to be there but I guess they are long gone now. I guess I'm old...

Anyhow, thanks for posting!