Chenille USAAF Squadron Patch – Unknown Unit

checkit

I picked this up recently, a Squadron patch with the design of a half/Indian, half/airplane figure and "Troop I - Cloudsters".

Just as a guess, I would say it was some type of Recon/Scout pilot who was assigned as a liaison to some other branch of the army - cavalry support?.

There was an 8 x10 photo of 2 light planes in flight, painted OD with markings, as taken from a third plane. I completely forgot to get it, and am not certain if it was related to this patch, as this was basically a large hodge podge from the estate of a pack rat.

post-2647-1321591722.jpg

Johnny Signor

Is there any "possibility" that this patch could be "Boy Scout" related in a military type ???????????????

Possibly a flying related one during WW-2 , it saying "Troop 1" makes me think along that line , but it could be some form of an Artillery" scout pilot type too, man this one probably has a heck of a story behind it , if only it could talk .....................................

The aircraft photo you should have gotten as it "could " have been a "lead " to the patch's background, but I've done the same thing a few times , I would find a cool item in with "others" and not think the "others" were just as important , hopefully one of the members or someone will put an ID with this one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very cool patch !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny

There was an airplane made in the late 1930's and early 1940's called the Rearwin Cloudster. The USAAF called it the UC-102A. Operating in that time frame it could have been used as a scout aircraft, likely Cavalry or Armored Cavalry because Troop designations as high as I (Eye) did exist. It may have been a very short lived unit, flying experimentally the designated aircraft among other types. Calling themselves the "Cloudsters" would single them.

IH

Johnny Signor

Hey Checkit, does the aircraft in the photo look anything like those in the photo you passed up ??????????????????

Man I wish you had gotten it so we could see at least what type they were , they may not have been related, but then again they could have been ...............

Hey Checkit, does the aircraft in the photo look anything like those in the photo you passed up ??????????????????

Man I wish you had gotten it so we could see at least what type they were , they may not have been related, but then again they could have been ...............

I don't think the planes in the photo had covered landing gear. Same type of plane, but seemed more simple of a design.

The word "plywood" came to mind when I saw the photo.

I don't think the planes in the photo had covered landing gear. Same type of plane, but seemed more simple of a design.

The version I posted was of the civilian type. Haven't yet found a UC-102 to share.

• 1 year later...