Post Spam Am USMC Dress Blue enlisted EGA or not?

teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

A few weeks ago I won an EGA auction containing a small filmstrip (of 4 views in various dress). Prior to bidding I asked a fellow forum member "Dirk" (chinamarine.org) if he was interested in the auction, as he owned other items of this Marine. So I've since passed along the strip to him, on to the topic at hand.

In spite of my searching of the forum threads, I cannot find the one or perhaps two threads in which this topic was discussed. And there are a few other photo's of this nature which depict some sort of dress blue collar device(s), not authorized at this time. SNM was stationed in Japan shortly after 1900, I'll leave the rest of his background to Dirk to cover.

I'm uncertain what these are? The top of the device certainly looks like an eagle, the rest is indistinguishable to the eye...

Even working the photo's further, than seen here, the details simply vanish. This is as good as it gets. Your thoughts?

Copy__2__of_Copy_of_epalett_guy.jpg

I am by know means any kind of authority on EGA's or collar devices. However, I do see the outline of an anchor (see below). Could this be a USMC button that has been carved out and converted into a collar device or privately made based on that design?

post-29885-1321552622.jpg

When I first saw the photo, I thoughyt of the Army QUartermaster insignia post-203-1321554939.jpg

However, I do seee the anchor, at least I think I do.. Maybe a modification by the Marine?

D: Thanks for getting the thread going....as I said I've got two other photos of Marines of this era wearing some type of collar device...and all date from the 1906-13 period....one Marine is wearing what I am certain is an NRA award...the other and this man I am not sure of...two of them were seagoing (Asia and West coast USA) at the time while the other was a Marine marksman (east coast) ....I've not found anything that says who or why these were worn by only a handful of Marines

Here is Gunner Cal Lloyd at the end of his first enlistment....I think that is an NRA device.....BTW D thank you for the picture of Howard (probably the strip was taken in Japan)!

gunnercal.jpg

D: This man was off the USS Colorado c. 1908 (Mike M has a duplicate of this picture when it popped up on ebay a few years ago)...I remember doing a thread on it with Gary M when I first got this one in a group of pictures of the Marine and couldn't figure out the collar device....the other Marine at the top of the thread was in Japan from 1906-09

No one has yet to answer what the reg was or order that allowed these collar devices to be worn...all I know is they show up in pictures from 1906-13 and they are scare....anyone?

On a side note...each man has customized his EGA....these were the same years when this behavior appears more common.

collarguy0001.jpg

Schnicklfritz

Looking at the first image, I believe I see only the eagle atop the anchor with no globe. I wonder if these Marines are wearing their uniforms for some sort of vet's organization and have added the collar devices perhaps?

perhaps derived from a sweetheart piece?

here's a similar 'charm pinback' emblem I own, inverted and put side-by-side. We've seen other variations as just pins in silver, gold, etc

100_4826.JPG