Vietnam gear

SanderNL

So today I recieved 2 first aid/compass pouches wich completed my gear. :rolleyes:

post-34351-1321546574.jpg

I also recieved 2 well used canteen covers :thumbsup:

post-34351-1321546812.jpg

Looks nice! I recently finished getting all the items for my early Viet Nam era gear as well.

Could somebody post a picture of what the 1960's bandage that went into the first aid pouch looked like? I haven't been able to locate an image of what it looked liked.

Leonardo

Looks nice! I recently finished getting all the items for my early Viet Nam era gear as well.

Could somebody post a picture of what the 1960's bandage that went into the first aid pouch looked like? I haven't been able to locate an image of what it looked liked.

Leonardo

Nice!

Could you show some pictures of your gear?

Sander

Corpl. Cleaver

Looks good.

I just finished off mine today too. I'll try to put up a pic tonight also.

On the left canteen, is there something on top of the lid? Gasmask straw attachment maybe?

Tyler

Looks good.

I just finished off mine today too. I'll try to put up a pic tonight also.

On the left canteen, is there something on top of the lid? Gasmask straw attachment maybe?

Tyler

Yes there's an extra opening to drink out, so I don't know if that's original. However the canteen is dated 1969.

Sander

Corpl. Cleaver
Yes there's an extra opening to drink out, so I don't know if that's original. However the canteen is dated 1969.

Sander

Okay, I think they saw very limited use at the end of the war. I hav seen 1 MAYBE 2 photos of them in use in country.

Okay, I think they saw very limited use at the end of the war. I hav seen 1 MAYBE 2 photos of them in use in country.

Thanks for the info! ;)

So it's propably replaced post war.

Sander

Leonardo

I was in Vietnam from October '68 to '69 and the only bandages I remember were WWII vintage ones made from waxed cardboard with a baking soda packet added.

Corpl. Cleaver
No ones got marine gear?

I had it, but I sold most of it.

Here is my M-56 gear. I hav a small waist, so everything is crammed together.

I just got the 2nd canteen and cover yesterday. Everything is dated pre 1969 (other than the gasmask, which is 69, and the bandages which are 1971)

Machete and jungle aid kit are 1944

Small Arms pouches are filled with M-14 mags

Poncho is a very nice one dated 1962

Canteens are 1963 and 1966.

Originla ear-plugs in plastic case. (anyone else have a set of these??)

1st pattern FAP

Thanks to DeuceGI for the 63 dated canteen and cover.

100_4729.jpg

Minty/nicer net up.

All I need is a canteen cover, I have the canteen someplace.

Poncho is a late 1950's model.

Includes spaghetti straps and the strap that lets you wear the buttpack like a backpack.

100_4731.jpg

And a work in progress, nylon gear from 1969 to 1972. I picked most of this up in the past few months.

I haven't tryed looking for more, i just grab it whn I find it dirt cheap.

100_4730.jpg

I was in Vietnam from October '68 to '69 and the only bandages I remember were WWII vintage ones made from waxed cardboard with a baking soda packet added.

Thanks! That's good to know, I have a bunch of those type already! Thank you for your service!

I have a Marine rig as well, when I photograph the army one, I will post that one as well.

Cheers

Leonardo

I had it, but I sold most of it.

Here is my M-56 gear. I hav a small waist, so everything is crammed together.

I just got the 2nd canteen and cover yesterday. Everything is dated pre 1969 (other than the gasmask, which is 69, and the bandages which are 1971)

Machete and jungle aid kit are 1944

Small Arms pouches are filled with M-14 mags

Poncho is a very nice one dated 1962

Canteens are 1963 and 1966.

Originla ear-plugs in plastic case. (anyone else have a set of these??)

1st pattern FAP

Thanks to DeuceGI for the 63 dated canteen and cover.

100_4729.jpg

Minty/nicer net up.

All I need is a canteen cover, I have the canteen someplace.

Poncho is a late 1950's model.

Includes spaghetti straps and the strap that lets you wear the buttpack like a backpack.

100_4731.jpg

And a work in progress, nylon gear from 1969 to 1972. I picked most of this up in the past few months.

I haven't tryed looking for more, i just grab it whn I find it dirt cheap.

100_4730.jpg

That's some great looking gear!

Sander

Thanks Sander, WWII is my main thing, so i just put this together for fun and for display.

I agree, while I belly ache about my WWII items (proper markings, good finish etc) my Viet Nam items are just straight out fun to collect.

I picked up most of it at swap meets for dirt cheap and it looks great all assembled.

I just need to start working on a late war Nylon set.

Leonardo

Leonardo

Nice looking gear guys.

Leonardo, I think this is what you're looking for.

IMG_2443.jpg

Rob

DSCF0014.jpg

This is what I wore most of the time during my tours over there. The other equipment, gas mask, flack vest, helmet, and so on were carried in a canvas bag, duffel bag, or something similar.

Corpl. Cleaver
DSCF0014.jpg

This is what I wore most of the time during my tours over there. The other equipment, gas mask, flack vest, helmet, and so on were carried in a canvas bag, duffel bag, or something similar.

What type of unit were you with? USAF SP?

Outstanding collection Corpl. Cleaver!

I recently bought a few Vietnam era helmets and I decided I wanted to put together a Vietnam era set of gear for display too but I need to find a reference so I know what is what. I like to learn what is what before buying. I know WWII gear but only little about Vietnam.

I used to see Vietnam gear at shows and it was usually dirt cheap but I haven't seen much for a while. I've been checking on ebay every so often to see the availability and there hasn't been much there. I don't know if it's just a quirk or if Vietnam gear doesn't sell well or has dried up.

Does anyone know of a reference book on Vietnam gear that's accurate? If so, I'd appreciate the title.

Thanks!

Vietnam gear has certainly not dryed up. Vietnam war gear can go for higher than WWII gear now days. I sold a complete Vietnam rig for way more than a complete WWII rig, both in great condition.