Name Tapes

NamHelmet

From what I know, in Vietnam the Marines never had name tapes on their Jungle Jackets but the Army did. However, I wanted to know if all soldiers (army) had name tapes on all their jackets. I remember seeing some photos of army without them. The reason I want to know is so that maybe I could decipher among my jackets which ones were marines and which were army. Thanks to all that answer!

To answer your question would take many many pages of writing as nearly every different type of tapes were applied over the whole course of the war .

owen

From what I know, in Vietnam the Marines never had name tapes on their Jungle Jackets but the Army did. However, I wanted to know if all soldiers (army) had name tapes on all their jackets. I remember seeing some photos of army without them. The reason I want to know is so that maybe I could decipher among my jackets which ones were marines and which were army. Thanks to all that answer!

During the Vietnam war the only marines I know of who wore Tapes were U.S. Marine Corps Advisors to the South Vietnamese Marine Corps, the rest of our Marines did not wear Tapes on their Utilities, if there was names on these items they would be stamped in ink above the the left pocket or some times even across the upper back in the traditional manner seen since WWII, in both cases only the mans last name was used, the Marines did not stamp or print U.S. Marines on these items. the Eagle, Globe and Anchor could be seen stamped on the pocket in its traditional place, on the standard Utilities allways, on the Tropical OG fatiques and later Camoflage ERDL most of the time but not all of the time.

Dunno about Marines, but with the army it was "different days, different places, different stuff.

Absolutely no fast or fixed reg rule or practice.

The closer to the flagpole one served determined most of this, but not always.

Some guys out on firebasesor extended field operations would get boxes of cleaned or new fatigues tossed off choppers with no insignia, sometimes some insignia was not available nor anyone to properly attatch it.

Hand sewing of such was frowned upon.