WWII Zippo Lighter--school me

bluemoon

I am looking for a "black crackle" WWII Zippo lighter to purchase as a gift. I've seen them on ebay, but have not idea if they are real or fake.

What should I be looking for to confirm that the lighter is legit.

Also, does anyone know where I can get one from a reputable dealer so I don't have to go the Ebay route?

Thanks

Zippo used to sell a reproduction of the WW2 lighter on their website. There is a ton of information on zippos and what to look for if you search under "zippo" on the web. As far as a dealer be cautious on ebay.

Maybe someone here has one for sale. Maybe post on the wanted section.

To add, I would definitely, as oldfireguy suggests, stay clear of sites like Ebay or Ioffer, unless you know the person selling it is reputable.

You may also have luck posting your search on a Zippo forum.

Below is a link to a collector site with some nice photos of original examples for you to use as comparison

Good luck in your search!

http://www.zippocollector.com/1943-45/1943-45.html

Zippo used to sell a reproduction of the WW2 lighter on their website. There is a ton of information on zippos and what to look for if you search under "zippo" on the web. As far as a dealer be cautious on ebay.

Maybe someone here has one for sale. Maybe post on the wanted section.

I was going to post on the wanted section...but for some reason I can't. Perhaps my post count is too low.

Yeah, I hate ebay.

Bluemoon,

There was just a WWII black crackle zippo for sale as part of a group of items. It looks like the group is being broken up and sale of the zippo is on hold. You may however want to drop the seller a line in the event the sale falls through...

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...howtopic=127548

Thanks. I'll check it out.

I was going to post on the wanted section...but for some reason I can't. Perhaps my post count is too low.

Yeah, I hate ebay.

Yes, you'll need at least 50 substantial posts (not just one word replies) to be able to post in that section. This thread however may return some reults from members who have one available for sale.