Gen. Hoyt Vandenberg's uniform displayed in San Luis Obispo, CA

DutchInfid3l

From Vandenberg.af.mil website

11/9/2011 -

The Gen. Hoyt S. Vandenberg display is unveiled at the Central Coast Veterans Memorial Museum in San Luis Obispo, Calif., Tuesday, Nov. 8, 2011. Maj. Gen. Hoyt S. Vandenberg Jr. donated his father's uniform items to the Vandenberg chapter of the Military Order of World War who then loaned the items to the museum for permanent display. Gen. Vandenberg was the Air Force's second Chief of Staff, is known for officially authorizing the Air Force's blue service dress and has Vandenberg Air Force Base named after him.

VandenbergUniform.jpg

That's some rack! Do you have any close-ups Sarah?

The site has another angle...

VandenbergUniform2.jpg

I'll get over there one of these days, I live not too far from it. Get some closer photos :D

The site has another angle...

VandenbergUniform2.jpg

I'll get over there one of these days, I live not too far from it. Get some closer photos :D

Big ribbons! Thank you Sarah. :thumbsup:

I just checked this thread again. This uniform belonged to a very important American who served his whole life for our country. The least they could do is make sure his uniform doesn't have any wrinkles. It looks like it was just pulled out of a can. Who displays something like this ? It is disgraceful. How do you contact these people and tell them ?? They must have someone on staff who can get the wrinkles out. Come on people. No one else sees this ?

I just checked this thread again. This uniform belonged to a very important American who served his whole life for our country. The least they could do is make sure his uniform doesn't have any wrinkles. It looks like it was just pulled out of a can. Who displays something like this ? It is disgraceful. How do you contact these people and tell them ?? They must have someone on staff who can get the wrinkles out. Come on people. No one else sees this ?

True. It does have some wrinkles, and I agree with your point.

Most of what I see though is the glare of the glass and the reflection of the people and their clothes in front of it... I think that distorts the uniform more and makes it seem worse than it is.

Here's another photo from the CCVMM site.

It's not as close but then it doesn't really appear that wrinkled either.

HSVandenberg.jpg

Also, two photos found online of Gen. Vandenberg to compare the decorations.

HSVandenbergphoto.jpg

HSVandenbergphoto2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Made a visit to the museum yesterday, some better photos of the museum itself and of the Generals uniform are here.

Looks like a cool museum. thanks for the photos.

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting, in the last photo of him he is wearing a WWI victory ribbon, when it appears he did not serve in the first war...

Maybe he was at the military academy at the time and it still counted?