My New Engraved Set - 384th Bomb Group 546th Squadron

S McKibben

Those are probably the nicest engraved wings I've ever seen...great find! :w00t:

Howdy, sadly, I have to take another position on these wings.

I can't say for sure, but I fear you have a fake. This is (IMHO) the next generation of a series of fake wings generated by some low life and that have been showing up on ebay sporadically over the years. He has caught quiet a few collectors, even some very advanced ones.

Sadly, he/she/it is slow gaining skills that are beginning to make it rather hard to tell the good ones from the bad. I have posted a number of the fakes on my website:

http://pfrost.bol.ucla.edu/Fakes_Blog/Entr...es_wings.html#2 and I know a few other samples are posed on this forum.

Some common things about these wings. They almost always have a crude engraving on the back with the date, either a squadron or unit, and sometimes some sort of cheesy "title" (Kraut killer, Thud Herder, Flying Deamon, etc). The wings are always artificially aged, and frequently have a fake or fantasy hallmark ("Sterling except fittings" is a favorite of his). The base of the wing is usually a cast copy or one of the NS Meyer fakes with the hallmark obscured.

He also has a series of VN related fakes.

In the past, the easiest way to tell the fakes was the crude nature of the engravings--which usually looked like it had been done with either a sharp nail or a dremel bit.

In one of our previous discussions, we bemoaned the fact that it was only a matter of time before he (1) started engraving real WWII wings and (2) got someone who knew how to do a better job at engraving. It looks like the second event has occurred.

Again, I may be wrong, but I do NOT have warm happy fuzzy bunny feelings about this wing. I suspect that the engraving is shallow and was done with a dremel tool, the patina is fake, the hallmark is more than likely wrong and the pin and hardware are wrong for this NS Meyer's pattern wing. Sorry!

Here is a fake navigator wing that was sold on ebay. It had the date --just so you aren't confused as to what vintage the wing is--, a cheesy title (Star Gazer), and fake hallmark (Nanco).

Patrick

post-1519-1321543576.jpg

So we've all been suckered?! :blushing:

It is just my opinion, and with that and $1.75 you can get a big Starbuck's coffee. But, yes, I fear this guy has moved his game up a notch.

....... and with that and $1.75 you can get a big Starbuck's coffee......

NOW WE'RE TALKING TROUBLE.......... How do YOU get a Vente for $1.75??

Mine costs $2.15!! :pinch:

Is YOUR opinion really worth .40 @ Starbuck's? :lol:

I have had many wings that all came from vets and none were ever marked " except fittings ". Was that ever done ? I took a closer look at the photo posted and see that these wings are marked that way.

I have had many wings that all came from vets and none were ever marked " except fittings ". Was that ever done ? I took a closer look at the photo posted and see that these wings are marked that way.

If you visit the pinned section on fake wings, and look at posts 7, 49-50, and 92-93, you will see additional examples of this family of fakes. The quality ranges from atrocious to pretty darn good. But, you can see the similarity of all these examples.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=21830

Patrick

Jack you paying' to much for coffee!

Though not the information some of you wanted to hear, I believe Patrick's evaluation of the wing and inscription is correct. Even if the wing were authentic, I would still be suspect of an inscription like this which doesn't include the Bombardier's name or personal identifier. Inscribing just a squadron and group identifier without attributing it to a specific individual is very strange in itself.

Thank you Patrick for directing me to those threads. I learned allot.

Did they ever mark wings " except fittings " ????? Is that a legitimate mark ??

I also believe Patrick is correct about this wing. The mark "Except Fittings" usually used in conjunction with "Sterling" or "1/20th 10k" like this example were used in real wartime pieces. However the font is generally much smaller than seen on the bombardier wing in this thread. I've never seen it on a Meyer pattern wing like the bombardier wing posted. Interestingly the Navigator wing I've linked to has the 1/20th 10k Except Fittings hallmark but the wing is silver. What the heck on it is 1/20th 10k I have no clue. That's usually a mark reserved for Navy wings which are gold. Perhaps this Navigator badge started life with a gold finish but there are no signs of that. Anyhow, I posted it to show a wartime example of the "except fittings" mark being used.

Well S&%# really not what I wanted to hear.My first and last set of engraved wings.The only upside is that Im not in them very much so dont hurt quite so bad.Thanks for all the great info guys.

Shawn

Well S&%# really not what I wanted to hear.My first and last set of engraved wings.The only upside is that Im not in them very much so dont hurt quite so bad.Thanks for all the great info guys.

Shawn

Did you get them on ebay ? Can you return them ?

Did you get them on ebay ? Can you return them ?

Yes got them off ebay,buy it now.His listing says no returns but will get ahold of him when I recieve them.

Yes got them off ebay,buy it now.His listing says no returns but will get ahold of him when I recieve them.

What is his name on ebay. You need to report him no matter what he does. You should give him negative feedback no matter what he does. We need to make his life difficult.

M

Really sucks hes a fellow Texan.His user name is mheskett.

Also I was wrong he does give a 3 day money back return.

You're lucky! The seller you're dealing with is a stand-up straight-forward honest guy. I'll bet the house he has nothing to do with the production or inscription on this Bombardier wing. He's most likely a victim in this transaction as well. I've purchased numerous quality items from this man in the past...and will continue to deal with him without hesitation. He shouldn't be the focus of any further ridicule because he's not the culprit.

Russ W.