Sign in to follow this  
TomcatPC

Bandoleers

Hello

Here are two bandoleers that I have lurking about. They are unmarked, I'm under the impression they were for .30 cal. cartridges? Any ideas to the age of these bandoleers?

Thanks

Mark

DSCN2412.jpg

Last of the famous Tomcat Plane Captains.

U.S. Navy 1989-1993

VF-302 Fighting Stallions, NAS Miramar, San Diego, So. Cal. 1990-1993DSCN0808.jpg

Hello

Here are two bandoleers that I have lurking about. They are unmarked, I'm under the impression they were for .30 cal. cartridges? Any ideas to the age of these bandoleers?

Thanks

Mark

DSCN2412.jpg

These type of bandoliers started to be used in WWI, the two you have would have been used in two differant time periods. Judging from the seemingly larger size and colour of the bottom one, ( larger in the height of the cells and the apparent Khaki colour ) may be one from WWII, Korea for the .30 caliber ammo.The one above it seems to have smaller cells ,this and it's Olive Green colour indicates a mid 1960s to present type which held 5.56 MM ammo .

These type of bandoliers started to be used in WWI, the two you have would have been used in two differant time periods. Judging from the seemingly larger size and colour of the bottom one, ( larger in the height of the cells and the apparent Khaki colour ) may be one from WWII, Korea for the .30 caliber ammo.The one above it seems to have smaller cells ,this and it's Olive Green colour indicates a mid 1960s to present type which held 5.56 MM ammo .

Digital cameras can play havoc with color I think you may have the Id backwards........ the top will be for 30 cal ball ammo or 30 Carbine..... the taller one is designed for the 5.56 nato ammo..... are there any marking on these?

You'd have to try putting magazines into them and seeing which one fits. OD does not necessarily mean that its for the M16, I have OD bandoleers that were issued in '69 for the garand, so you just never know without the markings. But yes, the taller one would be for the M16 I believe.

They are both the same size, just the photo is taken on an angle. I don't have any M16 Magazines, or any other US magazines for the matter. I do have have a 5.56mm Bandoleer stashed away in storage and I could have sworn by memory that the pockets are quite a bit taller than the pockets on these bandoleers. Also, I think the 5.56mm bandoleer has seven pockets, whilst the .30 cal. bandoleers have six? Also the olive drab colour on the 5.56mm bandoleer I have is a lot darker than the olive drab bandoeer in the photo. Give me a couple days and I'll check them out again and maybe take another photo with them switched around to see if the sizes look different. If that helps out at all.

Mark

U.S. Navy 1989-1993

VF-302 Fighting Stallions, NAS Miramar, San Diego, So. Cal. 1990-1993DSCN0808.jpg

I have also seen the cloth bandoleers dated 1898 with 30-40 Krag ammo.

Check out my website of Military Relics and Collectibles: http://www.ourboysof98.com
I try to update it by adding several new items each month, so keep checking back.

Thanks,
keith

donation2011.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Hello

Here is another photo that has the bandoleers overlapped with an M-1 Clip with spent cases just to show the sizes of the pockets. The tan coloured bandoleer has pockets that are just slightly taller than the green bandoleer, not enough difference to make a big deal about in my mind. Somewhere in storage I think I have a 1960s era .30 Cal. Bandoleer and it is dark Olive Drab, a bit darker colour than this one. Anyway, hope this helps out a bit.

Thanks

Mark

DSCN2435.jpg

U.S. Navy 1989-1993

The Norwegian M2 (.30) ammo which the CMP sold about 10 years ago came in khaki, unmarked bandoleers. Not sure if that's what this is, but something to think about.

Steve

I remember:

Chris Ingrassia (9/11) CPT Tristan Aitken (OIF, 2003)

MAJ Paul Syverson (OIF, 2004) CPT Tom Miller (OIF, 2005)

SSG Scottie Bright (OIF, 2005) CPT Chris Petty (OIF, 2006)

MAJ Hurley Shields (OIF, 2008)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gif
donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2020.gif

Hello

I was given the khaki coloured bandoleers (I have another) back when I was a teenager in the mid-1980s. I was given them by a man whose Father had them in his things he had from the War. So, I'm fairly certain the khaki bandoleer is US WWII. The other is the mystery to me.

Mark

U.S. Navy 1989-1993

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.