Help Identifying WWII Field Desk - Please help!!!!!!!!

cmjordan77

Hi,

I have a WWII Field desk.

I am hoping I can get the picture inserted.

Please let me know if anyone has any ideas of this is a WWII Authentic field desk, or a reproduction.

The notes state "PACIFIC THEATRE TYPE", which kinda makes me believe this may be a repro.

Can anyone please help asap?

I need some quick answers.

Thank you to all who can help!

Chad

post-2002-1196431316.jpg

post-2002-1196431322.jpg

post-2002-1196431328.jpg

It certainly has been made since 1974 as that is when CAGE code 18475 was established for:

Company Name: PLURIBUS PRODUCTS INC

CAGE Code: 18475

Parent CAGE:

Address: 77 WASHINGTON AVE

P.O. Box:

City: BROOKLYN

ZIP: 11205 - 1294

CAO-ADP: S3310A - HQ0337

State: NY

County: KINGS

Voice Phone Number: 718-852-1614

Fax Phone Number: 718-852-4575

Date CAGE Code Established: 10/25/1974

Last Updated: 7/21/2006

Manchu Warrior

Every army unit I was in had at least one or two of this type field desk in the supply room or stuck in storage rooms. When I was on active duty I was assigned to the S2 and we still used this type of desk in the TOC. I never bothered to look at the dates on them but I don't believe they were WWII vintage. Not they looked brand new but the army must of still issued this type of desk up until recent times.

This is really strange, I have a feeling that it is an old one that has been reworked later. The marking is the odd part as it is not a field desk but rather a records chest and would accompany the field desk and should be marked Chest, Record, Fiber. Also the later desks usually have the inside painted OD like the out side, the WWII ones were left natural and varnished like this one. I can't imagine any one reproducing these as they would be very expensive to make and they don't sell for that much. I think what you have is a WWII chest with updated markings.

This is really strange, I have a feeling that it is an old one that has been reworked later. The marking is the odd part as it is not a field desk but rather a records chest and would accompany the field desk and should be marked Chest, Record, Fiber. Also the later desks usually have the inside painted OD like the out side, the WWII ones were left natural and varnished like this one. I can't imagine any one reproducing these as they would be very expensive to make and they don't sell for that much. I think what you have is a WWII chest with updated markings.

I called the company in brooklyn and these are NEW and made for collectors they will send you a Quote if you send them a fax

Made for collectors! LOL!

I hated these things. The doors always stuck, and the table top was never big enough.

Still, it was better than writing on a clipboard.

If you were in Europe in the 1980's and subject to moving out on unannounced Alerts, you were smart if you stocked these things ahead of time and had them ready to load on the truck. Of course, if you put too much in them, they could get quite heavy.

Maybe I will get one for the family room.... too funny!

I have three WWII period field desk and every one I've seen as well should have a manufacturers tag on the top by the lock. They have date and manufacturer information. I think I remember seeing that field desk on ebay somewhere. It is post-WWII made.

Well,

Everything is good, i am not buying this.

I found an authentic WWII field desk with all the markings.

I found the larger one that is for all 3 battalions.

I paid $150 for it, but it is in great shape.

I am glad I wanted on the one I got.

Heck, I even got a WWII Field Table too, paid only $40 bucks for it and it is in great shape too!!!

I just got lucky!!!!

Whoo hooo

Thanks guys

Chad

• 2 years later...

Does anyone know of a vendor selling these? It's a nice copy of the WW2 company sized one, would love to get one to mark up for my war correspondent re-enactment stuff without messing up an original one...

I have three WWII period field desk and every one I've seen as well should have a manufacturers tag on the top by the lock. They have date and manufacturer information. I think I remember seeing that field desk on ebay somewhere. It is post-WWII made.

Yup... if memory serves the tag is an oval, in stamped metal.

The one pictured is very new, if authentic at all.

Does anyone know of a vendor selling these? It's a nice copy of the WW2 company sized one, would love to get one to mark up for my war correspondent re-enactment stuff without messing up an original one...

Guess you missed it. The phone number was given in one of the posts above:

Tom

Guess you missed it. The phone number was given in one of the posts above:

Tom

No, I didn't miss it, I was wondering if a vendor just had some I could order one. I'm thinking getting a specific quote on just one would extremely costly.

But I am curious, when you called them, what price did they quote for one of these?

I called them and like all contractors, they won’t just give you a price. The person I talked to confirmed they DO indeed still make these to this pattern (odd, as I never saw one on active duty, only saw those huge 1950s pattern ones with the table top lid) but you have to fax a request to them. :think:

cherokee tj

Forrest Park Army/Navy store in Atlanta Ga. was selling these recently, and were listed them as repos.

• 5 months later...

My bad- I meant the price for them at Forest Park Army Navy. I am in there occasionally, and I might get one there to save on shipping.

• 3 weeks later...
Here's a current Ebay listing by seller "windyman55" for them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MARINE-CORP-1942-PACIF...=item5d2cced35f

There always seem to be several up for auction recently.

He must have scored a truck load of these things. But for the prices he’s asking (for some pretty well-used examples) when you include shipping, I was able to score a really nice original one off eBay this week for just a few bucks more!

It’s funny that I saw one of these at a show two years ago, a local guy was moving to Germany and was getting rid of his and I was very confused as to when it was made, it’s the same one, markings and all. I almost bought it for $150, glad I didn’t, now that I know what it was.

• 1 year later...
Constabulary

I´m pulling this older topic because I got one of these desks and it has a Quartermaster sticker still applied (or what ever the sticker is). They are indeed original Army issue. The sticker shows a price of $379.50 :blink:

post-5069-1345885901.jpg

Not to mention the NSN or national Stock number shows it to be modern in nature... I can say this... when the military finds something that works, they tend to stay with it... I have one of these very same desks from WWII...

Constabulary

I bought the new one to copy the insert from it because I have a WWII type but some one removed it completely. So this will be work for the cold days.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...