Meaux France WW1 museum

jgawne

After a very LONG time in the works I am please to say that the Jean Pierre Verney collection (WW1) is finally in its own custom built and official French WW1 musuem. It opened Nov 11th with the President of France in attendance, and all hats off to Verney for making this finally happen. If you had ever seen his house jammed to the rafters (litterally) with some of the most amazing WW1 items (I have ever seen) its just wonderful this stuff is not out there for people to see on more than a temporary basis.

I was not able to atttend due to financial and health reasons, but I have seen photos, and all I can is anyone passing by Meaux really needs to stop by. Seriously, there is some rare stuff there.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/11/...E7AA05520111111

And it is only 15 minutes away from Disney Paris!

museum website

http://www.museedelagrandeguerre.eu/

This opening made the headlines here, it is a really big event. JP Verney was about to sell his collection abroad, he finally managed to fulufill his dream, with a museum located on one of the battlefield sites. I will have to drag my girlfriend there one weekend!

I think interest in World War I is rising, especially with the upcoming 100th Anniversary. I think it was overshadowed for so long by World War II because the second war war more recent in living memory. But I think people have returned to the era of 1914 to 1918 with a realization how momentous those events were, and how much society was upheaved because of it.

I look forward to when we can see photos of the collections and displays.

• 1 month later...

I went to the Museum in Meaux this morning ... I'm living just 50 km from the site.

It's great, all is very well displayed and the museum is very educationnal.

My only regret is that there's no very exciting items collectorwise ... but many many excellent items for sure.

However a must see if you are coming to Paris and its neighbourhood ;)