M-1938 wire-cutters

Sabrejet

Completely unmarked? Interesting! :think:

Well Sabre, this was the first and only wire cutter pouch with flap I ever saw so I couldn't miss it and got it on austrian ebay for a not so good sum. It's salty and overwashed so I wasn't bother with disappeared markings. Of course american buddies did go crazy with it until later I discovered it's a post war austrian army issue.

Check

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...5&hl=cutter

I had some time this afternoon and took some pictures of the other two sets of field gear I put together.

This second set is 1942 and 1943 dates.

DSC07028Small.jpg

DSC07029Small.jpg

The third set is still a work in progress -

I'm trying to get late war Marine items as I can find or afford them. Of course the bayonet scabbard is a repro until I can get better.

DSC07017Small.jpg

The cartridge belt is mint but dated 1952

DSC07020Small.jpg

The ears on the canteen cover are a shade darker than the body but don't show up as well in this photo

DSC07021-CopySmall.jpg

DSC07022Small.jpg

I used a different type of shovel with each set. I put the odd shovel with the Marine set. I've heard they were used by the Marines but I haven't found any proof. Maybe someone here can help me with the odd shovel. I've searched and asked around for years but haven't found any specifics about what and why. Every one I have ever seen is dated 1945. I've heard people say they were made from a mixture of T-handle and folding, but you can see when side-by-side the blade and the handles for it are unique to it. The head looks the same from here, but when held up next to the other it's a little smaller.

Shovels-1.jpg

Nice items guys.

Sabrejet, I love the wire..

I picked these up recently at a local and very reputable militaria shop. They sell world wide with internet auctions and such. Anyway, they allegedly belonged to a 29th vet and were carried on D-Day. I'm suppose to be provided with the vets name the next time I go to the shop as they couldn't locate it at the time of the sale. I bought the item not the story but the story is possible since I'm right in the middle of 29th country.

Cutters1.jpg

Cutters2.jpg

Rob

Thank you. Does the US military still use these cutters? I ask because I recently bought a large group of gear from a SEAL Team 6 guy. On one of his belts was the below pouch. It is cleary of newer manufacture by a company in Fairburn (?) Ca.

IMG_2435.jpg

IMG_2434.jpg

Here is a close up of the above cutters:

IMG_2436.jpg

Rob

Good question...to which I don't know the answer! That said, using the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" principle, I'm sure they would have soldiered on for many years beyond the end of WW2. I daresay someone out there in forum-land will be able to shed some light on it! :think:

I guess I can speculate that they are useing them since the pouch was on the belt of an active duty SEAL..or maybe cutters very similar in style.

Rob

Austrian?! You're kidding!! :w00t:

Too bad I'm not kidding. You know several european armies issue copies of US gears after WWII: ctg belts, M1 helmets and so on. Italian "marines" San Marco bataillon issued in the '80s copy of the Jungle pack (of course italian camo pattern but original US zip) and of USMC M1910 first aid pouch. The stroy of my wire cutter pouch is quite simple: I spotted it on austrian ebay and I bought it but few weeks later another one appeared on this darn ebay advertised as "austrian army wire cutter pouch". What have I to think?

Too bad I'm not kidding. You know several european armies issue copies of US gears after WWII: ctg belts, M1 helmets and so on. Italian "marines" San Marco bataillon issued in the '80s copy of the Jungle pack (of course italian camo pattern but original US zip) and of USMC M1910 first aid pouch. The stroy of my wire cutter pouch is quite simple: I spotted it on austrian ebay and I bought it but few weeks later another one appeared on this darn ebay advertised as "austrian army wire cutter pouch". What have I to think?

You win some...you lose some!! :pinch: ;)