Civil War Bullet? Strange Dug one.

Here is a civil War bullet that I recently purchased. It came with a bunch of Minnie balls.

The base is flat and has a rectangular, a circular hole. I don't know if this is a casting defect or if

it was intended. If you are familiar with this please let me know. I can add measurements later.

I left it at work. It is approximately 54 cal.

DugBul002.jpg

DugBul003.jpg

DugBul004.jpg

Having cast a lot of big bullets like that I would say that's a casting defect.It happens when the molds too cold or the lead is not up to temperature.

Given that it's a solid base projectile and the approximate caliber of 54 I'd guess it's for a carbine.Possibly a Sharp's bullet or some varian't of a Spencer bullet.

Here is a civil War bullet that I recently purchased. It came with a bunch of Minnie balls.

The base is flat and has a rectangular, a circular hole. I don't know if this is a casting defect or if

it was intended. If you are familiar with this please let me know. I can add measurements later.

I left it at work. It is approximately 54 cal.

DugBul002.jpg

DugBul003.jpg

DugBul004.jpg

Andy,

Measurements would help. However the bullet is miscast and judging by the flat tip on the bullet the squared rings and the dimple on the base I would have to say it is a .50/70 Govt for the Indian War. Most Civil War collectors have one in their collection but don't know what it is. I hope this helps!

www.americancivilwarrelics.com

• 10 months later...

I don't think that is a bullet,civil war small arms ammunition,to my knowlege were all made out of lead.The corrosion on it is rust indicating iron,lead corrosion is powdery white.It also looks like it has a threaded hole in the bottom.

Andy,

Measurements would help. However the bullet is miscast and judging by the flat tip on the bullet the squared rings and the dimple on the base I would have to say it is a .50/70 Govt for the Indian War. Most Civil War collectors have one in their collection but don't know what it is. I hope this helps!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.