"A Tale of Two Cities" -Atomic Bombed into Oblivion- U.S. War Dept. Films 1946

Manchu Warrior

Manchu Warrior

You never know where you may find interesting items. A few weeks ago I was at an auction and there were a lot of box lots out back and most of them looked pretty nasty. However, there was one box that caught my attention. It had what looked like garbage stuck in it but there were film cans sticking up out of the muck and I figured you never know what may be in the cans. So, I dug down through the trash and in the bottom of the box were three film cans. One of the cans caught my attention because it had a Dept. of the Army label on it. I paid $2.00 for a box that no one else would stick their hand in and took it home. The movie in the can is called "A Tale of Two Cities" and what it is U.S. Army film crews documenting the damage done by the Atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I have a friend who is into old movies and has a projector all set up in his house so I was able to watch this movie and it plays well and has no vinegar smell. This movie was produced by the U.S. War Dept. in 1946 and if you want to watch go to the link I provided. The movie is a little over twelve minutes long and it is well worth watching. One of the more interesting lines in the movie is when the announcer says that, "Hiroshima was the first city in history to be Atomic bombed into oblivion." Also, there is a part when army personnel are looking at the shadow of a human that was vaporized on a bridge. It is really wild stuff. One of the other movies is titled "Target Nevada", and is about Atomic testing in the desert. The last one is about air force testing jets in the late 1940's. Both of these films were produced by the Air Force but I have not watched them yet. If you have time please watch the movie I beleive you will find it beyond interesting.

http://www.archive.org/details/TaleofTw1946

post-1412-1196378889.jpg

Quote... "Hiroshima was an ARSENAL CITY"?.... with "20,000 Imperial Troops"?

The images are both strong and fascinating, but it is interesting that even after the War there was an apparent need to justify the full destruction of a city.

It is its own time capsule.