Todays M1 helmet Fakers ruining nice pieces...

I was just curious if I was the only forum member out there that has a problem with this right here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-Inland-Paratro...=item2a153f6956

This was a very nice standard Inland liner that this guy turned for a buck. I am not 100 % certain, but this may have been done by one of our very own members here. Just plain sickening.

Steve

Visit my website http://www.m1helmetdepot.com/ for Nice M-1 helmets and parts

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

Sad to see a liner defaced - I have nothing against those who re-web torn liners for reenactors and restore shells that are not collectable, but to alter preserved WWII items is forgery and vandalism.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Yeah, I see plenty of this type of action, along with the fake painting from this seller. Don't know which is worse, the types who do this for a buck, or those who buy them. I think he needs to be added to the list of known fakers, and "artists" here.

Learn to ride hard, shoot straight, dance well and so live that you can, if necessary, look any man in the eye and tell him to go to Hell! US Cavalry Manual, 1923

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

What makes me so angry is the fact that it is USMF forum member Grant G. that is doing this. Tell me how this is different than Easy Green being on here? This is a forum for collectors is it not? No "collector" I know would do this to a nice Inland liner just to turn a buck.

What makes me so angry is the fact that it is USMF forum member Grant G. that is doing this. Tell me how this is different than Easy Green being on here? This is a forum for collectors is it not? No "collector" I know would do this to a nice Inland liner just to turn a buck.

It is about time he is called out on this.

Justin

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

If it was an original Inland abn liner, you could multiply its selling price x4!!

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

I just wish there was a way to screen the homes you sell items to on eBay! I just sold a near mint FB/Liner on there and it went to somebody in Belgium...if I see that thing painted with a spade, heart, or diamond on the side I am literally going to cry. What these repro-takers aren't seeing is that with all of their handiwork flooding the market, painted helmets prices are declining and all original ones are on the rise and becoming rarer!

Visit My 76th Division Collection Website!

http://76thdivisioncollection.blogspot.com/

Always looking for 76th Infantry Division Items and Information!!

385th, 304th, and 417th Infantry Regiments : 355th, 364th, 901st, 302nd Field Artillery Battalions

301st Medical and 301st Engineer Battalions

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

I just wish there was a way to screen the homes you sell items to on eBay! I just sold a near mint FB/Liner on there and it went to somebody in Belgium...if I see that thing painted with a spade, heart, or diamond on the side I am literally going to cry. What these repro-takers aren't seeing is that with all of their handiwork flooding the market, painted helmets prices are declining and all original ones are on the rise and becoming rarer!

I totally agree. It is going to ultimately kill the collector market for painted lids. Bottom line is, its just plain greed.

It is about time he is called out on this.

Justin

Looks like this thread is doing just that.

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."
donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Raise up your pitch forks and flaming torches ye olde forum members!

Visit My 76th Division Collection Website!

http://76thdivisioncollection.blogspot.com/

Always looking for 76th Infantry Division Items and Information!!

385th, 304th, and 417th Infantry Regiments : 355th, 364th, 901st, 302nd Field Artillery Battalions

301st Medical and 301st Engineer Battalions

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Since this forum began six years we have been expressing, let's say, "deep concern" about this. Obviously there are those who have no problems with this as evidenced by the money being spent on these and I am certain we have many members who have bought them. As noted many times over the years, these helmets have made all painted and marked helmets suspect: the creators say their ebay listings note the changes, but the problem is the next person to sell it probably won't reveal it's a counterfeit.

This is not a problem confined to militaria collecting and the economic incentives will ensure that someone will take up this line of work. A while back we tracked the completed sales of one notable helmet faker and he was selling them at the rate of about $80,000 a year!

Counterfeit helmets, fake painted flight jackets, phony USMC camo helmet covers, etc, etc. - there's a lot of this out there and at the end of the day we are not going to shame anyone into not producing these, so the best we can do is education, which is really what this forum is all about.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

donation2019.gif

Such is the plethora of faked marked or otherwise doctored helmets out there today, I can foresee a future scenario whereby when someone actually presents an unmarked helmet, collectors will be suspicious and accuse him of over-painting the "original" markings. A kind of reverse psychology...know what I mean? ;)

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

Since this forum began six years we have been expressing, let's say, "deep concern" about this. Obviously there are those who have no problems with this as evidenced by the money being spent on these and I am certain we have many members who have bought them. As noted many times over the years, these helmets have made all painted and marked helmets suspect: the creators say their ebay listings note the changes, but the problem is the next person to sell it probably won't reveal it's a counterfeit.

This is not a problem confined to militaria collecting and the economic incentives will ensure that someone will take up this line of work. A while back we tracked the completed sales of one notable helmet faker and he was selling them at the rate of about $80,000 a year!

Counterfeit helmets, fake painted flight jackets, phony USMC camo helmet covers, etc, etc. - there's a lot of this out there and at the end of the day we are not going to shame anyone into not producing these, so the best we can do is education, which is really what this forum is all about.

:twothumbup:

that was very very well said i agree with you 100% the best solution is education besides if we got rid of him from the forum it still wouldn't stop him selling them and even if it did 5 more fakers would take his place sad but thats life

cheers michael

GO CANUCKS GO

CANUCKS HAVE WON BACK TO BACK PRESIDENT TROPHIES FOR BEING NO 1 IN THE NHL

donation2012.gif

My problem with this is not the possibility that these helmets are ultimately going to be sold and accepted as original.

What I don't like is the fact that people are altering honest, original, untouched helmets that still have their WWII applied paint, cork texture and chin straps.

I hate to see a historic item being messed with just as much as I hate to see an old historic building being demolished to make space for a supermarket or parking lot.

There are literally hundreds of thousands of post WWII repainted shells around, and also non collectable liners, that can be used to make reproductions and restorations - why do this to the few remaining helmets that still kept their WWII manufacture characteristics?

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

thats just horrible and should not be tolerated. IMHO fakers should not have a place to be members in militaria forums like this one.

philip

Actively Seeking:

WW2 USN/USMC Attributed/Named Purple Heart Groups

WW2 USN/USMC Combat Aviation Groups

WW2 and Prior USN/USMC Medal Groups

Contact me if you have something

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif