DO you like Turtle CAMO !!!! YES I DO

My instinct would also point towards an Argentinian helmet from the Falklands war. I had several as a kid picked up over there during the fighting. It was common practice for them to use these style covers. The helmets were a mixture of WW2 and post-war, US and European.

Did it come from the States or Europe ?

Rich

Collector of Fixed bail M1 Helmets

https://m.facebook.com/M1Helmet/

"The dreams of Empire lure the hearts of Kings - and so men die" Burma, 1944

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My instinct would also point towards an Argentinian helmet from the Falklands war. I had several as a kid picked up over there during the fighting. It was common practice for them to use these style covers. The helmets were a mixture of WW2 and post-war, US and European.

Did it come from the States or Europe ?

Rich

You may be right, I found this link: http://www.pixstel.com/argentinian-m1-helm...t16080.php?id=0

malvinas.jpg

Hi cc max

It's a fixed bail with a firestone liner early un painted a washers, with khaki chin straps. If that helps the topic, what's tour take on the helmet ?

Thanks

Dean

"Rise and rise again until lambs become lions."

Always looking for ww2 USMC items, helmets and any camo'd items

"thinking outside of the box"

New website

https://combatusedmilitaria.com

Dean, I do not know what it is, but I think it certainly merits further study and comparison to other pieces before you reach a conclusion.

Agreed but my gut and the experts on the forum are all coming to the same sort of conclusion. Yes it's a beautifully painted camo but , it has no us heat stamp in the helmet, the serial numbers are 10 not 8 also it was a lot of money and I'm very uncertain now that it was ww2' probably post ww2. The camo is old but I was sold a ww2 us camo helmet and this does not fit the criteria, way to many ifs or buts.

As all my collection will go to my daughter I cannot give her an expensive piece like this which I have been told is post war by a few of the members.

The person I bought the helmet from is a very good guy and he will honour a refund. So I will keep you all updated once again thanks for all the Input

What an awesome forum :thumbsup:

"Rise and rise again until lambs become lions."

Always looking for ww2 USMC items, helmets and any camo'd items

"thinking outside of the box"

New website

https://combatusedmilitaria.com

AAF warrant officers had serial numbers beginning with T (flight officers).

Interesting info!...just a theory, maybe this was a Glider pilots helmet?..... :think: ...mike

Always looking for and buying 50's era 11th Airborne/ 187th ARCT/ 82nd Airborne tac mark painted jump helmets!

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2017.gif

No need for camo in a glider?! :think:

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

No need for camo in a glider?! :think:

Glider pilots fought on the ground after they landed and are a tough bunch!....sometimes they didnt have to and were back to the rear quickly but other times they were slugging it out for awhile before getting out....and just a theory but they would have lots of time to camo their helmets and were a proud bunch and probably had big egos too...and rightfully so!...i have a small glider pilot grouping and have done a lot of reading on the subject, one book which was written by the glider pilot that i have some items from, never mentions camo helmets but just dreaming it could be very possible!.....mike

Always looking for and buying 50's era 11th Airborne/ 187th ARCT/ 82nd Airborne tac mark painted jump helmets!

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2017.gif

Agreed but my gut and the experts on the forum are all coming to the same sort of conclusion. Yes it's a beautifully painted camo but , it has no us heat stamp in the helmet, the serial numbers are 10 not 8 also it was a lot of money and I'm very uncertain now that it was ww2' probably post ww2. The camo is old but I was sold a ww2 us camo helmet and this does not fit the criteria, way to many ifs or buts.

As all my collection will go to my daughter I cannot give her an expensive piece like this which I have been told is post war by a few of the members.

The person I bought the helmet from is a very good guy and he will honour a refund. So I will keep you all updated once again thanks for all the Input

What an awesome forum :thumbsup:

since you paid a lot of money on a questionable helmet with no real provenance, I think you should try to get a full refund, your always going to have to wonder who used this helmet and it could be a post war piece that somebody made up

plus it looks like it's been painted never used, only shows age from being painted a while back, why would a soldier waste his time embroidering a service number inside when he could just use a pen and mark it?

US soldiers dont usually have their service numbers embroidered in a camo helmet cover like that

Glider pilots fought on the ground after they landed and are a tough bunch!....sometimes they didnt have to and were back to the rear quickly but other times they were slugging it out for awhile before getting out....and just a theory but they would have lots of time to camo their helmets and were a proud bunch and probably had big egos too...and rightfully so!...i have a small glider pilot grouping and have done a lot of reading on the subject, one book which was written by the glider pilot that i have some items from, never mentions camo helmets but just dreaming it could be very possible!.....mike

Yeah...I appreciate that Mike. Once on the ground they were technically infantrymen until they made their way back to friendly lines. It's all hypothesis of course, but the glider pilots were obviously in close contact with the airborne boys...right? They mostly camouflaged their jump-helmets with nets garnished with scrim...nothing as "exotic" as the cover seen here. So presumably the glider pilots would have had access to the same camo aids as the airborne troops, therefore, why bother fabricating such a cover? (which, incidentally, looks like a "brickwork" scheme most suited to an urban environment...not open glider country) Just my take on it! ;)

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

If you got this helmet from a belgian collector, it could be a Belgian Army helmet. ABL used vintage US M1 before Belgium made its own NATO M1 helmet.

"One law for them, another one for us !"

donation2017.gif

donation2016.gif

donation2015.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2007.gif

If you got this helmet from a belgian collector, it could be a Belgian Army helmet. ABL used vintage US M1 before Belgium made its own NATO M1 helmet.

What serial number system do they use? That sounds pretty plausible.

-Steve

AAF warrant officers had serial numbers beginning with T (flight officers).

I did a little research and you are correct about the "T". However U.S. Army serial numbers are in eight digit or smaller runs, there are nine digits on the helmet. I believe the evidence points to foreign postwar use.

I did a little research and you are correct about the "T". However U.S. Army serial numbers are in eight digit or smaller runs, there are nine digits on the helmet. I believe the evidence points to foreign postwar use.

Could be Canadian service number, they are nine digits, the first always being a letter. However, I have NEVER seen any Canadian M1 that looks like that.

-Steve