Occupation medal for Germany AND Japan?

theschneid88

Is it possible that someone who was awarded the Occupation Medal could have earned both Germany and Japan clasps? I have never seen this in person but it does not seem impossible any input?

Dan

My uncle was awarded both clasps as he served in the ETO from Feb '43 until late May '45 before he transferred to the PTO, serving there through the end of the war and then through the end of the KW, ultimately departing in '54 when he left the army.

My uncle was awarded both clasps as he served in the ETO from Feb '43 until late May '45 before he transferred to the PTO, serving there through the end of the war and then through the end of the KW, ultimately departing in '54 when he left the army.

I have a similar situation, My grandpa was in the 65th ID in WW2, would up with the 79th ID and later with EUCOM with the occupation forces, but was transferred to Japan when the KW broke out and was there for 6 months. Yet his DD 214 only has "OCCUPATION MEDAL (GERMANY) listed. Guess another military paperwork snafu...

canadian bacon

my grandfather was awarded the occupation medal with berlin airlift device, germany clasp and japan clasp so it did happen probability more common than one might think

cheers michael

my grandfather was awarded the occupation medal with berlin airlift device, germany clasp and japan clasp so it did happen probability more common than one might think

cheers michael

A lot ofaircrews serving occupation duty in Japan were diverted to Europe for the Belin Airlift.

kyhistorian01

I have an army guy that earned the Germany Bar for occupation in europe while serving with the 71st Division and was later assigned to Japan with the 1st Cav in 1948 earning the Japan bar. I also have a Navy Chaplain who was awarded the Asiaian for occupation service at the end of the war. and served post war in Italy during the period that qualified for the european Clasp.

Probably more common than one might think to earn both.

Robert

• 4 weeks later...
canadian bacon
A lot ofaircrews serving occupation duty in Japan were diverted to Europe for the Belin Airlift.

a belated response on my part but in his case its actually the other way around he was in germany first and then in japan after the airlift and he was infantry. i will try to get some photos of it next time in in fort saint james

cheers michael

I have a related type question on these.

Was it more common to see one of these medals with the Germany occupation clasp and the Berlin Airlift device or, just the lone Berlin Airlift (C-54 airplane)?

Seems to me if you were in Germany at the time, it would have been hard not to have been involved in some way supporting the airlift operations but maybe that's not correct?

I don't see a lot of these medals with both the Germany clasp and Airlift device compared to medals with either one or the other.

Thoughts?

Tim

canadian bacon

tim im pretty sure that you had to qualify for the germany bar to qualify for the berlin airlift device

"To be awarded the Army of Occupation Medal, a service member was required to have performed at least thirty consecutive days of military duty within a designated geographical area of military occupation."

"In addition to the Germany clasp, for those service members who performed 92 consecutive days of military duty during the Berlin Airlift in 1948 and 1949, the Airlift Device is authorized as a device to the Army of Occupation Medal"

so if im reading this right 30 days got you the germany medal/clasp and it would take 92 days to get the berlin airlift device.

cheers michael

Hi Mike,

Thanks! Yes, I was looking at the DoD 1348.33-M instruction and see a person had to be attached to a unit credited with actual participation in the airlift. I think I am right in, if a person qualified for the medal after 30 days, then he/she automatically was entitled to the appropriate area (Germany or Japan) clasp? My questions is, I see many of these medals without clasps and some with only the Berlin Airlift device and that doesn't make sense?

From the DoD Inst:

AP4.1.2.51.2.1. Army of Occupation of Germany (Exclusive of Berlin). Military service between May 9, 1945 and May 5, 1955. Military service with a unit designated by the Department of the Army as "having met the requirements for, or the individual award of, the Berlin Airlift device" shall also qualify the Service member

for the Army of Occupation Medal.

AP4.1.2.51.3. Service Clasps and Devices. Recipients of the Army of Occupation Medal, depending on the circumstances, are authorized to wear the following devices.

AP4.1.2.51.3.1. Army of Occupation Medal Clasp. Bronze bar with the word "Germany" or "Japan" inscribed, thereon.

AP4.1.2.51.3.2. Berlin Airlift Device. Awarded for military service of 92 consecutive days, between June 26 and September 30, 1949, with a unit credited with participation in the Berlin Airlift.

Tim

canadian bacon

tim i have seen this as well my thoughts are that many individuals simply didnt care about wearing the clasp. however if you earned the device then you got the clasp

cheers michael

Tim,

I am not sure when the Navy changed the rule "one clasp"? It is well documented that in WWI even if you were entitled to 2, 3 or more "Duty" clasps, you were only awarded 1. I am not an expect on any of the Occupation medals, but I did not see anyone having Navy kin weight in on this matter, and with yours being a Navy type to me that would be important. Also, the only official Navy clasps I know of came from the U.S. Mint and from your photo I can not tell?

All my questions are to just expand this interesting topic.

Thanks Jim

Hi Jim,

Absolutetly! You know me and I love actual discussions here, as long as Dan (original poster) doesn't mind going a bit astray from his original question?

Many of these medals have little particulars that are often overlooked and it's always nice to share thoughts and knowledge on items.

Of the original period examples I've seen, these are the combinations:

- Single medals & medal bars with no attachments. This includes Army, Navy, and Marine Corps type medals and both geographical areas respectively.

- Army style medals with Germany & Japan clasps; single and both clasp together; though mostly one or the other.

- Army style medals with the Berlin Airlift device alone and occasionally in addition to the Germany clasp.

- Single Navy medals with either the Europe or Asia clasp. One medal bar with both (pictured above).

- Single Marine Corps medals with Asia and one with Europe clasp, though I cannot verify these weren't taken off Navy medals and added later on for sale purposes.

- Marine Corps medal bar without clasp and one with Asia clasp.

The combinations that are supposedly authorized but ones that I personally have never seen:

- Army/Navy/Marine Corps style medals/bars with all three devices (Germany/Japan/Airflift).

- Navy style medals/bars with Europe clasp and Berlin Airlift device.

- Single Navy or Marine Corps medals with both clasps.

- Marine Corps medals/bars with both Europe clasp and Berlin Airlift device. (authorized combination ?)

Understand these medals were not issued until after the war ended and most that got out simply never applied or received the medals/clasps for one reason or another.

Additionally, I'm not exactly sure when the clasps were actually ready for issue but, this might explain why some that received and mounted their medals shortly after the war ended might not have all the clasps added.

Tim

I do think this is all pretty well clear now, but NO stars were worn on the Occupation RIBBON -- only the Berlin Airlift device by those qualified. The bars were worn on the medal itself.

G

I do think this is all pretty well clear now, but NO stars were worn on the Occupation RIBBON -- only the Berlin Airlift device by those qualified. The bars were worn on the medal itself.

G

Thanks Tim & G,

All good stuff.

Jim

canadian bacon
Didn't the Occupation medal apply to assignment in BERLIN into the late 1970s or 1980s?

it was awarded until 1990 that makes it the longest continually awarded campaign medal

cheers michael

AP4.1.2.51.2.1. Army of Occupation of Germany (Exclusive of Berlin). Military service between May 9, 1945 and May 5, 1955.

AP4.1.2.51.2.2. Army of Occupation of Austria. Military service between May 9, 1945 and July 27, 1955.

AP4.1.2.51.2.3. Army of Occupation of Berlin. Military service between May 9, 1945 and October 2, 1990.

AP4.1.2.51.2.4. Army of Occupation of Italy. Military service between May 9, 1945 and September 15, 1947 in the compartment of Venezia Giulia eZara, the Province of Udine, or with a unit in Italy designated by the Secretary of the Army.

AP4.1.2.51.2.5. Army of Occupation of Japan. Military service between September 3, 1945 and April 27, 1952, in the main and offshore islands of Japan, the Ryukyu Islands, and Bonin-Volcano Islands. Military service that meets the requirements for the Korean Service Medal shall not be counted in determining eligibility.

AP4.1.2.51.2.6. Army of Occupation of Korea. Military service between September 3, 1945 and June 29, 1949.

This is for the US Navy & US Marine Corps.

52. (section)

Navy Occupation Service Medal

a. Authorized by ALNAV 24, and Navy Department General Orders No.255(references (aaaaa) and (bbbbb).

b. Awarded for military service in one of the occupied territories

after World War 11. Specific eligibility requirements are outlined in U.S. Navy regulations, but the general criteria for the various areas are:

(1) European-African-Middle Eastern Area. Duty performed from May 8, 1945, to the dates indicated below. Military service between May 8 and November 8, 1945, shall not be credited unless the Service member was already eligible for the European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal for military service performed prior to May 8, 1945.

Italy December 15, 1947

Trieste October 25, 1954

Germany (except Berlin) May 5, 1955

Austria October 25, 1955

(2) Asiatic-Pacific Area. Duty performed from September 2, 1945, and April 27, 1952. Military service between September 2, 1945, and March 2, 1946, shall not be credited, unless the Service member was already eligible for the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal. In addition, military service which meets the requirements for the Korean Service Medal shall not be counted in determining eligibility.

c. Service Clasps and Devices. Recipients of the Navy Occupation Medal, depending upon the circumstances, are authorized to wear the following devices:

(1) Clasps. Appropriate clasps marked "Europe" and "Asia" shall be worn on the suspension ribbon of the Navy Occupation Medal.

(2) Berlin Airlift Device. Awarded for military service of 90 consecutive days or more with units participating in direct support of the Berlin Airlift between June 26, 1948, and September 30, 1949.

D-16

• 8 years later...
On 12/12/2011 at 7:22 PM, Tim B said:

AP4.1.2.51.2.1. Army of Occupation of Germany (Exclusive of Berlin). Military service between May 9, 1945 and May 5, 1955.

AP4.1.2.51.2.2. Army of Occupation of Austria. Military service between May 9, 1945 and July 27, 1955.

AP4.1.2.51.2.3. Army of Occupation of Berlin. Military service between May 9, 1945 and October 2, 1990.

AP4.1.2.51.2.4. Army of Occupation of Italy. Military service between May 9, 1945 and September 15, 1947 in the compartment of Venezia Giulia eZara, the Province of Udine, or with a unit in Italy designated by the Secretary of the Army.

AP4.1.2.51.2.5. Army of Occupation of Japan. Military service between September 3, 1945 and April 27, 1952, in the main and offshore islands of Japan, the Ryukyu Islands, and Bonin-Volcano Islands. Military service that meets the requirements for the Korean Service Medal shall not be counted in determining eligibility.

AP4.1.2.51.2.6. Army of Occupation of Korea. Military service between September 3, 1945 and June 29, 1949.

Hello,

I know this is an old thread but I found it while researching to see if it was possible for the Occupation medals to have both bars attached if the person was qualified for both.  I have a couple of groups were the records lists both bars but the medals came with neither bar or just one bar.

Another question I've wondered about relates to the Army of Occupation medals with no clasps and nothing noted in the NPRC file: i.e. the medal is listed but no "(Germany)" or "(Japan)" noted beside it in the list of awards.  That is if the person served in the Army of Occupation of Austria / Italy / Korea (and possibly Berlin from the info above) would they be just entitled to the medal and neither of the clasps?

Thanks,

Rick

Salvage Sailor
On 12/13/2011 at 3:10 AM, Johnnymac said:

This is for the US Navy & US Marine Corps.

52. (section)

Navy Occupation Service Medal

a. Authorized by ALNAV 24, and Navy Department General Orders No.255(references (aaaaa) and (bbbbb).

b. Awarded for military service in one of the occupied territories

after World War 11. Specific eligibility requirements are outlined in U.S. Navy regulations, but the general criteria for the various areas are:

(1) European-African-Middle Eastern Area. Duty performed from May 8, 1945, to the dates indicated below. Military service between May 8 and November 8, 1945, shall not be credited unless the Service member was already eligible for the European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal for military service performed prior to May 8, 1945.

Italy December 15, 1947

Trieste October 25, 1954

Germany (except Berlin) May 5, 1955

Austria October 25, 1955

(2) Asiatic-Pacific Area. Duty performed from September 2, 1945, and April 27, 1952. Military service between September 2, 1945, and March 2, 1946, shall not be credited, unless the Service member was already eligible for the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal. In addition, military service which meets the requirements for the Korean Service Medal shall not be counted in determining eligibility.

c. Service Clasps and Devices. Recipients of the Navy Occupation Medal, depending upon the circumstances, are authorized to wear the following devices:

(1) Clasps. Appropriate clasps marked "Europe" and "Asia" shall be worn on the suspension ribbon of the Navy Occupation Medal.

(2) Berlin Airlift Device. Awarded for military service of 90 consecutive days or more with units participating in direct support of the Berlin Airlift between June 26, 1948, and September 30, 1949.

D-16

Not all of the occupation duty locales are on this directive. 

Adding to this discussion, my father was credited with a USN Occupation Medal with no clasp for service in an area not covered above (although it is in East Africa).  His occupation duty was at Radio Marina, Asmara Eritrea.  This was the captured Italian communications station in the Eritrean highlands which later became the ASA facility Kagnew Station.

IMG_6873.JPG

USN Occupation Medal (short version) awarded in 1951

IMG_6886.JPG

IMG_6884.JPG