Olive Drab Shade 3 Web Belt

iamck94

Can someone post a picture of an OD shade 3 web belt with gold colored metal (GCM) belt buckle. This is the belt worn with the dress uniforms until the new Green uniform was introduced and the black belt was required. I am just curious what the color is; is it a brown color or a green color or is it a mixture of the two?

Can someone post a picture of an OD shade 3 web belt with gold colored metal (GCM) belt buckle. This is the belt worn with the dress uniforms until the new Green uniform was introduced and the black belt was required. I am just curious what the color is; is it a brown color or a green color or is it a mixture of the two?

Like all items of this type they will vary in shade if ever so slightly, I do believe you have in your collection the late 40s on OD ties, do you not ?, the shade will be similar to the tie.

Matt's beaten me to the punch! I was going to dig mine out too but his selection is pretty representative of the most commonly found shades. My most recently purchased complete EM's OD uniform came with a belt which is quite brown in colour (see pic) but I regard this as being the exception rather than the rule.

post-8022-1320932446.jpg

:pinch:

I believe iamck is referring to the specificaly made OD web belts worn from the late 1940s till 1957-58, these belts in their unissued state would vary in shade from manufacturer to manufacturer.

I believe iamck is referring to the specificaly made OD web belts worn from the late 1940s till 1957-58, these belts in their unissued state would vary in shade from manufacturer to manufacturer.

In that case I would have to say "I have no idea" because when I think OD #3 web belts, these are what I think of. :dunno:

In that case I would have to say "I have no idea" because when I think OD #3 web belts, these are what I think of. :dunno:

A good sampleing of belts Matt, most are a representation of the OD web belts worn in the 50s, I allways seen the types from the 50s as being a darker OD darker in shade than OD 3. Photo's In Stanton's Uniforms of the Korean War unfortunately are in black and white, but if you look at some of the photos you will see many belts that appear to be khaki and they most likely are despite some of the caption description's as them being OD, then there are some ( On page's 88 and 143 for instance ) that clearly are the darker OD type, closer to OD 7 in my esimation, it also states that both OD waist belt and Khaki one's could be worn in that time. but as one would think during this period throughout the 50s the OD web waist belt would have been the standard issue for trainees who got the intial issue, maybe never opting for a khaki belt whether purchasing one or trying to get a hand me down. Officers on the other hand fall in to a completly differant catogory given their array of choices in purchasing uniforms and having them custom made.

Here's why I ask: All the Shelby Stanton uniform books are in black and white unfortunately so all the belts look khaki to me. If I happen to run across a belt I think is an OD 3 belt, I want to be sure I am getting a true color one; many sellers don't know what they're selling and a lot of times the pictures can distort the color.

Like all items of this type they will vary in shade if ever so slightly, I do believe you have in your collection the late 40s on OD ties, do you not ?, the shade will be similar to the tie.

I do not have any ties. I'd say I have a respectable collection for an amateur, but my collection consists of uniforms and caps. I don't really have any accessories other than several black neckties and black dress belts and that is only because those are ROTC issue. Thats why I asked this question; I'm looking at getting some "pink" and "green" ties and some OD 3 belts and I just wanted to know what I am looking at.

Here's why I ask: All the Shelby Stanton uniform books are in black and white unfortunately so all the belts look khaki to me. If I happen to run across a belt I think is an OD 3 belt, I want to be sure I am getting a true color one; many sellers don't know what they're selling and a lot of times the pictures can distort the color.

I feel that the belts where ones made in OD#7 that where worn in the main in the 50s, OD#7 waist belts where made, a photo of one is in the WWII U.S. Army Eurupean Thearter of Operations collector Guide, this one has a 1944 date, I say this simply because of the large amounts of photos I have in a varity of books ranging from army periodicals from the 50s to Unit Basic training Yearbooks from the 50s, these belts always appear to be dark as oppossed to the lighter shade of the OD#3.

Can someone post a picture of an OD shade 3 web belt with gold colored metal (GCM) belt buckle.

Here is a part of my belts collection (picture taken earlier, not now especially for you and your thread). Top belt, with older USAAC logo, is classic OD#3.

post-75-1321179233.jpg