Help with WW2 Khaki Chevron please.

teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

All, acquired this WW2 USMC MGySgt chevron recently, in thought it was for an EM Khaki shirt. I thought upon first glance it was smaller than normal... as seen here, a bit over 4 & 3/4". I've read thru 1937 reg's - nothing about size, a few threads here about reg's of the period - nothing. Were the chevrons on shirts smaller in this WW2 period. Many thx for looking! s/f D.

ww2_chevron_003.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

and laid over the top of a tunic MGySgt chevron, from the period. :think:

(if ironed the chevron would be same width)

ww2_chevron_001.jpg

craig_pickrall

The only reference I have seen to chevron size concerns width not length. The standard USMC chevron was 3 1/2" wide and the standard Army chevron was 3" wide.

I collect chevrons so know from experience there is a lot of variation in sizes.

All, acquired this WW2 USMC MGySgt chevron recently, in thought it was for an EM Khaki shirt. I thought upon first glance it was smaller than normal... as seen here, a bit over 4 & 3/4". I've read thru 1937 reg's - nothing about size, a few threads here about reg's of the period - nothing. Were the chevrons on shirts smaller in this WW2 period. Many thx for looking! s/f D.

This patch is a flat woven rayon one, it would be worn most commonly on the Marine Corps khaki shirts. Since this a 1940s patch it would be made from 100% Viscose Rayon, it was only in the 60s perhaps that Rayon began to be blended with other materials such as Polyester. Because it is Viscose Rayon which can be prone it shirinkage and was sewn on Cotton shirts, the smallish size is more than likley the result of shrinkage however silght, these shirts provided they where not the Tropical Worsted Wool khaki shirts would be washed/laundered in the normal way.

teufelhunde.ret

Thank you very much for the additional info - this now makes sense now, as the cheverons measure over 3 & 1/4" when laid out flat.