A day at the office!

Sabrejet

As long as the cigarettes are close at hand!

Well spotted...I hadn't noticed those! I assume it would have been against regulations to smoke aboard a gassed-up plane? Maybe this was a ground check staged for the LIFE photographer? Still a bewildering array of instruments though!

Looks are deceiving this is like the old TV sets, lots of buttons etc... but only 2 work or matter and there are only three channels and they all shut down at 11PM.

Another perspective from my 15 year old son, he tells me there is more technology in my iphone than in all of the Apollo mission combined, I told him the iphone wouldn't exist if it were not for the Apollo missions, maybe I should have just shown him this pic. :lol:

I was thinking much the same thing...no "fly-by-wire" back then! Valve technology...but it worked (most of the time!)

Smoking was common on aircraft with long ranges. I remember that the P2V Neptune I flew in had ashtrays installed. Remember you could even smoke on airliners until recently. Thank god those days are over.

Tom Bowers

On this side of the pond we call them tubes Saber. I still have some down in the basement.

I was thinking much the same thing...no "fly-by-wire" back then! Valve technology...but it worked (most of the time!)

Smoking was common on aircraft with long ranges. I remember that the P2V Neptune I flew in had ashtrays installed. Remember you could even smoke on airliners until recently. Thank god those days are over.

Tom Bowers

Hell our KC-135's STILL had ash trays in the cockpit until recently.

Scott