"Yanks in Barry"

Sabrejet

I learned about this exciting future event just yesterday. Barry is a town on the South Wales coast, just a few miles from where I live. In its hey-day it was a busy port. During the build-up to D-Day, American forces were billeted in the area as it was to be a jumping off point for the invasion. For example, the 2nd Division had its HQ at St. Donat's Castle which is just a few miles along the coast. At the time, the castle was owned by the famous American newspaper magnate, William Randolph Hurst ( on whom Orson Welles based his "Citizen Kane") Both Ike and General Bradley were there at various times pre D-Day.

Anyhow, the town plans to mark the 70th anniversary of "the friendly invasion" next summer. Plans are already underway. I'll post the link below which will give you an overview of what's being planned. If you also click on the WW2 tab it'll take you to the page dealing with the US "occupation". I've just volunteered my services to the organisers as I'd like to set up an all singing/all dancing GI display for them using items from my collection. I haven't had a response yet but I'll keep the forum periodically informed of developments as they occur in the months ahead.

http://barryatwar.info/our-next-event/882-2/

http://www.castlewales.com/donats.html

General Apathy
I learned about this exciting future event just yesterday. Barry is a town on the South Wales coast, just a few miles from where I live. In its hey-day it was a busy port. During the build-up to D-Day, American forces were billeted in the area as it was to be a jumping off point for the invasion.

Hi Ian, during the war my mother was in Swansea just a few miles along the coast from Barry and she remembers seeing the Ships in the harbor tied alongside each other and said it was evident that it was possible to walk from ship to ship enabling the soldiers to board their designated ships for D-Day. ;)

Good luck with your involvment if you do a display with your collection. :thumbsup:

ken

Hi Ian, during the war my mother was in Swansea just a few miles along the coast from Barry and she remembers seeing the Ships in the harbor tied alongside each other and said it was evident that it was possible to walk from ship to ship enabling the soldiers to board their designated ships for D-Day. ;)

Good luck with your involvment if you do a display with your collection. :thumbsup:

ken

Thanks Ken. Yes...east to west, Cardiff, Barry and Swansea were the major ports, all of which were vital to the allied cause. Must've been a sight to see!

Ian :thumbsup:

"Yanks in Berry".....That's a catchy title!

Let's see what fun we can have with this!!! :w00t:

That'll be Barry JS...as in (the late, great) Barry White! ;)

General Apathy

post-344-1321132320.jpg

I learned about this exciting future event just yesterday. Barry is a town on the South Wales coast, just a few miles from where I live. In its hey-day it was a busy port. During the build-up to D-Day, American forces were billeted in the area as it was to be a jumping off point for the invasion. For example, the 2nd Division had its HQ at St. Donat's Castle which is just a few miles along the coast. At the time, the castle was owned by the famous American newspaper magnate, William Randolph Hurst ( on whom Orson Welles based his "Citizen Kane") Both Ike and General Bradley were there at various times pre D-Day.

Hi Ian, you mention above Eisenhowers visit to St Donat's castle after searching my photo files for the last three days I have just found the shot I have of Ike visiting the castle pre D-day. :thumbsup:

ken

After doing some digging I've found that the principal US Army units stationed in and around my neighbourhood pre-D-Day were:

2nd US Infantry Division

115th Field Artillery Battalion

863rd Ordnance Heavy Automotive Company

187th Ordnance Depot Company

12 Major Port (Transportation Corps)

There's more research to be done!

General Apathy
Whe-heeey Ken!! :w00t: Thanks a lot! Never seen that one before...great stuff.

Ian :twothumbup:

Hi Ian, perhaps you can now go and do a ' Then & Now ' shot of your own, the spot Ike stood ???? :think: :lol::lol:

ken

Hi Ian, perhaps you can now go and do a ' Then & Now ' shot of your own, the spot Ike stood ???? :think: :lol::lol:

ken

Now there's an idea Ken! Trouble is it's now the site of Atlantic College, an international school. I'd need to get permission to enter the grounds.

General Apathy
post-344-1321132320.jpg

Hi Ian, you mention above Eisenhowers visit to St Donat's castle after searching my photo files for the last three days I have just found the shot I have of Ike visiting the castle pre D-day. :thumbsup:

ken

Hi Ian, well having never visited either castle it appears that I got the wrong one for the photo of Ike, I said I thought it was St Donat's castle and it appears that it may well have been Margam castle instead, Whoops. :lol::lol:

ken

In retrospect, it might well be Ken. For the benefit of our non-British members, Margam Park Castle and St Donat's Castle are only about 12 miles apart as the crow flies...Ike visited the both to rally the troops before D-Day. Pics below....St Donat's Castle, on the left, Margam Park Castle on the right.

post-8022-1321305744.jpgpost-8022-1321305756.jpg