A-2, Need your opinions

Chief Bast

Hey Everyone,

I'm currently working on a deal with an acquaintance of mine for an A-2 jacket. I'd like to have one of these for the collection, but have absolutely no experience in this specific area of WWII AAF Militaria. From what he's told me, and the picture of the label seems to back up, is that the jacket formerly belonged to 2nd Lt. Charles Ringwald, a B-24 pilot with the 15th AF, 757th Squadron stationed in the MTO.

C. Wingwald

Here's a few lower quality (initial) phone pics he provided me of the jacket. Unfortunately there's not a clear shot of the cuffs or the zipper, but from what I can tell everything else appears to be in a nice, sound condition. I would appreciate your thoughts as well as what one would expect to pay for such jacket. I certainly don't want to get burned if I do take the plunge on this. :rolleyes: Thanks!

BomberJacket1.jpg

BomberJacket2.jpg

BomberJacket3.jpg

BomberJacket4.jpg

BomberJacket5.jpg

BomberJacket6.jpg

BomberJacket7.jpg

Corpsmancollector

I'm no expert when it comes AAF units etc. but the jacket itself looks like a stunner. Great insignia and in good condition ta boot! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the comments and opinions, guys, and yes, I agree, it seems to be fairly loaded in terms of the "bling!"

I plan on discussing the jacket and price in more detail with the seller within the next couple of days and hope to to work out a deal closer to the number you all have mentioned. (this was approximately the amount I was thinking too) :thumbsup:

That's a real hum-dinger! Leather still looks very supple.

I agree, Ian, thanks! Now let's hope he doesn't demand "hum-dinger" prices on this thing!

I'm sure there's one with a similar patch combo in one of Jon Maguire's flight jacket books....or certainly one very like it. I'll take a look later to see if I'm right...or not!

Chief

Thats a great A2.In my opinion price is in the eye of the buyer many times and hopefully an agreeable price can be found.Each jacket can be a one of a kind and no two a like.Then it being a size 44 can also factor into a price as its a larger size.I was told once that less then 15% of the clothing in WW2 was size 44 or above.With many of the 8th AF jackets the Bomb Group/or Squadron history can affect price too if the Group was famous or had done some of the more written about missions.Often times I have asked the seller to see what a dealer would pay as they have a range between buying and full retail.

Good luck.

RD

I concur with what Ron says. That A-2 jacket ticks all of the boxes...condition...size...patches....provenance. It's a very desirable package which is potentially a big-buck$ item. Hope you're able to thrash out a good deal!

Thanks for the additional comments and guidance, Ron and Ian. Yes, I would love to know if there is a similar jacket in Maguire's book and Ron you brink up a good point - the jacket is certainly a very desirable, very contemporary size 44, which we all know adds a premium to WWII-era clothing.

I'll keep you all posted if a deal is hashed out on this.

Thanks for the additional comments and guidance, Ron and Ian. Yes, I would love to know if there is a similar jacket in Maguire's book and Ron you brink up a good point - the jacket is certainly a very desirable, very contemporary size 44, which we all know adds a premium to WWII-era clothing.

I'll keep you all posted if a deal is hashed out on this.

I just had a quick look through both Maguire/Conway books. Didn't find an exact match but in the ETO/Italy section there were several examples with such tooled leather patches, painted leather flags and B-24s / B-17s painted on the back...certainly similar in character.

Johnny Signor

That's the 459th Bombardment Group patch on the left in the photo , Wow , that's one fine looking jacket, i would say go for it if you can afford to purchase it , ask if the liner is in good shape and that the leather is not rotten and see if you can get a photo showing if the cuff's/waistband aren't too far gone, thya can be replaced , but if in poor shape he should discount some for this .

Overall it appears to be a really GREAT and rare find , good luck on getting it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny

Unusual to have the B-24 artwork on the back in applique form. Most commonly they're simply painted directly onto the jacket. I hope the knitwear is sound and that it hasn't been cropped from the photos to conceal any damage. They are often to be found mothed or snagged, but as Johnny said, if necessary they can be replaced (had it done myself once)...but most purists would tend to leave as is...unless of course they planned to wear it!! :w00t:

Thanks for the comments, Johnny. These are definitely things I want to discuss with the owner.

And Ian, I appreciate you check through your reference books. I'm not too surprised you didn't find an exact match, but it's good to know this jacket appears to match the characteristics of other ETO A-2s. :)

I really appreciate everyone's thoughts and comments. It really is a beautiful jacket by (limited) appearances and I would love the chance to be the caretaker of this piece if the opportunity presents itself.

Hello,

Sorry for coming late.

This jacket is a killer !

I sincerly hope you'll get it.

$2k is a minimum in my opinion, considering the patches, the bomber sewn on the back and the jacket in itself (condition, size...).

I'm sure there's one with a similar patch combo in one of Jon Maguire's flight jacket books....or certainly one very like it. I'll take a look later to see if I'm right...or not!

This jacket isn't in a Maguire's book but in the "Suit up" book from a japanese author.

If someone here can translate...

6329012865_eaff47bfb4_b_d.jpg

The exact twin brother of yours... (but yours has a fantastic back !)

Tim

Hey, guys, thanks for the comments on the jacket. I've owned this jacket for about 11 or so years and it's been one of my favorite items in my collection. I thought I'd post a few more pics just to round out the set and show a few details that weren't shown earlier. Apologies for the poor pics; my iPhone has made me lazy when it comes to taking pictures...

Here's the 15th patch on the other shoulder.

post-63259-1321238009.jpg

Here's a list of the missions the original owner flew during WWII. I had the pleasure to speak with him on the phone a few times and he sent me some documentation of his military career, copies of a few pics of him, etc. A great guy!

post-63259-1321238390.jpg